Stopover near Eurotunnel in France

Wildwind

Hi everyone. We are new to motorvanning and are we are going to France later in the year via the Tunnel. Can anyone recommend a "safe" stopover or site close to the French end of the tunnel.

Thanks in anticipation.

regards

Chris

Hi I use the ferry car park at Calais weather using the train or boat.

I find it very safe as it has a 24 hour guard. If you choose your pitch with care the other traffic noise will not be a problem to you. I use this car park over night for going or coming back. Derrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are newbys on this site and coming up for our first trip abroad in our Hymer which we bought last year.

We have decided to play safe and book established sites(hopefully) and have found La Bien Assise near Jumieges for our overnight stop before returning through the tunnel.

It looks like a very good site.

Rgds Jan

We've just come back from our first trip to France in the van. We booked La Bien Assise for the 1st and last nights and it was only half hour away from Calais so very convenient and there's also a supermarket just a short drive away from it.

We'll certainly use it again for our last night as it's also convenient for the local vet to do the necessary with our dogs' pet passports.

We use a site which is only about 10 minutes drive from the Tunnel, it is fantastic and has superb views across to England (in good weather!) Details are:

Camping les Erables

17 Rue du Chateau d'Eau

62179 Escalles

From the Tunnel make for the A16, come off at junction 40, go through Peuplingues and head for Escalles, site is signposted by means of a motorhome sign. You need to turn left at the top of the hill off the main road. It has a very good shower/toiletblock, m/h service point and last year we paid 10 Euros for 1 night without electric. The pitches are HUGE!

PS when travelling out of Peuplingues there is another site on your left, ignore this and carry on up the hill to the other one.

Ina.

• 4 weeks later...
Use the beach morothome parking area on front near municipal camp site in Calais. Some people say that it is crowded and noisy but if you are tired you can sleep anywhere! It will cost you 7 Euros a night between April/September but it is close, safe and handy for some super frites from the nearby stall!.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When travelling home we have always stopped on the parking area of the final payage station on the A26 just before Calais. This leaves us with a short ( 20 mins ) ride to Calais and feeling fresh enough for the awful journey through England to the North East.

Disadvantages are the usual refrigerated lorry that parks up next to us and the grand prix style start of each and every car that comes through the pay booth, however I've always been so tired that I get a good kip.

Advantages: you are parked right next to the Gendarmerie and if that doesn't put the criminals off, nothing will.

Archived