Trip this Half Term up Pen Y Fan Breacon Beacons

aka4ajax

Hi,

Anyone walked up the Pen Y Fan and left a MH in or around the surrounding area.

I am looking to visit this Half term and would ideally like to find a spot I could park up and wait till the conditions are perfect to climb and enjoy a clear winter view across South Wales.

So possibly a night parked wild camping.... I have looked at Cwm Gwdi park. I have stopped there on 2 or 3 occasions many moons ago while in the Army, but know the site is now just a car park. So has anyone stopped there or the Stoney Arms across the South side of the Fan?

I know the area quite well from the 80's and 90's but never in a MH. My concern with the Storey Arms is its a commercial Out of Bounds centre and may not take kindly to a MH parked when they are selling rooms for the night.
Just a thought, so I was wondering if anyone else had any info on the Storey Arms and how they react to MH parked in the car park. Or can anyone tell me if its a public one?

Hi Tracker,

Your post reminded me to go on Google Earth and look at the Storey Arms car park in street view. A little further south down the A470 on the left is a car park the military use when they are on manoeuvres. It looks perfect for what I want to do. 
 51°52'10.54"N   3°28'23.49"W Look on google streets.

Thanks.

When we lived in Pembrokeshire there was a website where the Army publicised when various local car parks and public access was prohibited around Castlemartin due to exercises, there may well be something similar for The Brecon Beacons as you might not want to arrive and park with half a dozen tanks or APC's full of squaddies!

You could hear the tanks and big guns firing over 12 miles away, especially at night and they rattled our roof tiles at times, as did low flying jets!

Archived