West Coast of Scotland

joal121

Hi :-D :-D

Would any of you kind people (I hope you are kind (lol) ) please give me information on must see/visit places along the west coast of Scotland? We are travelling up in our Motorhome the 1st 2weeks of August (I know but work restraints mean we have to :-S ) and have no definate plans of where we are going, just setting off and seeing where the mood takes us. We are hoping to do a bit of wild camping too (which I understand is not frowned upon in Bonny Scotland B-) ) but want to make sure we don't miss anything. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi joal of course we're kind (lol)

If you want to get as far north as you can I suggest you head for Loch Lomond [ie past the cities block in the middle] and then simply follow your nose. Moffat makes a good overnight stop at the C&CC site right in the town.

Try and see Fort William > Loch Ness, Oban, the electricity thingy at Cruachan is worth a visit - particularly if it's wet. We like the Crinan Canal and there used to be a site in Lochgilphead, alternaively there also used to be a parking area just as you come into the town. Plockton is lovely.

Applecross is something else - if you feel brave - unofficial aire at Sheildag and you can watch the dolphins / porpoises in the sea loch. Garloch - another great spot with views of the Cuillins on Skye.

Further North - Ullapool, Rosemarkie, - the list is endless.

Follow the coast north and come back down the Great Glen - shpuld pretty much cover it.

http://www.visitscotland.org/ and http://www.visitscotland.com/

have loads of good info.

Have fun

B-)

Guest starspirit

Don't forget to drive up Glen Nevis and walk/clamber to the top of Ben Nevis, but do be aware that there used to be a very high number of vehicle break ins in the car park.

The scumbags would sit and watch you go off and know you will be gone a long while and when the car park went quiet they would do several vehicles before scarperring back down the only road in / out.

A friendly Policeman told me this the last time I was there (about 5 years ago).

PS I've climbed it twice - once when 15 and once at 45 and believe me the older you get the harder the walk!

Mull is worth a trip if only to see Tobermory or ( Balamory ). Many miles of single track roads and great scenery especially going by short Corran Ferry near Fort William and then Lochaline Ferry and returning on Lochaline Ferry but travelling by Strontian to Lochailort and then up to the white sands at Arisaig. These ferries are not expensive.

David

Thankyou very much :-D

You are a very helpful bunch and I will check out the places you have suggested and heed your advice.

Just one more thing, I keep hearing that in the summer months the pesky midges are out in force on the west coast is it a real problem or can it be overcome with sprays, creams etc?

Hi Joanne

did The west coast last summer late june early july. Started in Ayreshire going up the coast then over the clyde and into the western Highlands and coast finishing up on the Isle of skye.The midge problem started once into the Lochs and sea areas.

We used skin so soft (woodland fresh in the green bottle) which usually keeps them at bay, but I believe it is no longer produced under that name, but under another name. There was another thread a while back where I believe someone had the new name, but I`m sure an Avon rep will know.

Enjoy your trip

• 3 months later...
:-D living in scotland (central belt) and knowing the weather, my tip would be to look at weather forecast before heading to Skye etc (which is lovely) but bleak if weather bad and if its your main holiday you dont want rain and mist :'( but do remember Edinburgh, Stirling, Breamar ,Perthshire, Aviemore, all have good sites outside the towns, and the castles are a must, as one other person mentioned Loch Lomond is realy a nice route and not to remote. MM

• 3 weeks later...

I would advise a trip through Glencoe it is the most startling and wonderful site to behold...it is different experience on cloudy misty days to that of really sunny.

Any where north of the central belt from just outside Stirling you have the Trossachs..just like the Lake district only more spectacular.

I am sure whatever the route you take you will have a great time in Scotland.

The Trossacks are fantastic from Callendar to Killin around Loch Tay. A must see is the Great Glen through Glen Coe towards Fort William and Ben Nevis then across to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye not to be missed is Plockton because of the Gulf Stream the Palm Trees are an unusual site to see in the north west of Scotland.

One of the best things about Scotland as well as the fantastic scenery is the friendly welcome from the local people, just make sure your fuel tank is well topped up filling stations can be a bit hard to find and expensive in the remote area's

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We were up there at the beginning of June had a wonderful time, travelled up to EDINBURGH cc site then onto INVERNAHAVON, then onto a site at Ben Nevis (Glen Nevis campsite ) then down to Oban (NORTH LEDAIG CC SITE), We have to say it is one of the best tours we have done and plan to go futher North next year.

The site at North Ledaig was a nice relaxing site to stop at before the journey home, right on the waters edge.

We never pre-booked any sites and just moved as we pleased but was told that at peak times you will have trouble getting onto the popular sites if not booked in advance.

Just back from three weeks in scotland in June. Went up the west coast Via most places already mentioned.One Place that worth staying is west of Poolewe turn left onto the B8057 for about three miles site overlooking Loch Ewe with some hard standings. The site is run by the Community costs £2.00 per night. We eventually finished up on Orkney .If you get as far as Lochinver Follow the B869 which has terriffic views although it is narrow in places. My vehicle is a Starburst which didn't cause any problems. Also a good site near the distilleries is the one at Glenlivet Village Hall a visit to Glenfiddach distillary is worth a trip free sample given at end of free tour some charge. Enjoy your trip wev'e been going for thirty years almost every year and still find new places.

Archived