camping on berneray

macfitz

barra is fantastic, the best place to park up is at the airport (the planes land on the beach) there is a water tap on the corner of the building and a toilet disposal point just up the road. try lewis and harris for even better beaches ! (lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starspirit

I seem to recall that camping wild on Berneray is condoned on the unpopulated, and a bit wild, Atlantic Coast West side but not on the sheltered and populated east side.

Beautiful beaches - if a little sea weedy with kelp from the Atlantic - but darned good for the price, and very friendly natives (in general) as are all the Hebridean Islands - well maybe not Skye!

starspirit...look at the campingberneray website on the first post and then say that the people of berneray are welcoming...also vist the discussion forum on www.visithebrides.com or the like (try google) even the islanders are fighting one and other over this topic.. >:-(

It looks like they pumped Berneray for FREE for years and now they are cashing in on its popularity.

Don't know if you have saw this site http://www.campberneray.co.uk/ looks like they are going to start charging to stay in camper vans and caravans overnight.

Its a shame because we where heading that way in four vans for the whole of July because it was free. :-(

We are now heading to Lewis.

macfitz - 2007-01-14 7:57 PM

starspirit...look at the campingberneray website on the first post and then say that the people of berneray are welcoming...also vist the discussion forum on www.visithebrides.com or the like (try google) even the islanders are fighting one and other over this topic.. >:-(

Yes you are correct , fighting one and anther because the people who own the land, the crofters don't make any money out of it. We were there last year and some dozy git at the local shop for local people sent us down to the east beach to stay in our van. When we got there and pulled every thing out we where asked to move on as the crofter wanted to graze sheep so we moved on. Turns out this dozy git in the local shop does not own the land that she sends everyone to so the crofter is a bit irrate about this, and this is what the probleme is on Berneray. People are sending vans and caravans to land that they do not own.

Next time you are on Berneray go to the local shop and see the dozy git for yourself.

We are going to Lewis this year.

Guest starspirit

Had a look at the Berneray website and unfortunately some foul mouthed git has done our cause no good at all by mouthing off.

As things stand and as Berneray is linked by road to the Uists if they don't want our vans or our money or us, c'est la vie and that is their perogative.

Let's just all go elsewhere - simple enough solution - although it is a shame that in the UK as one door shuts so another one closes.

I see its still no camping on Berneray.

We now have changed our plans to completely miss out Berneray.

We where hoping to go there for at lease a month in July but could never afford these prices.

Anywhere for free in the Uists? links anything!!

Thanks

Guest starspirit

The Uists are not as attractive as Lewis and Harris both scenery and freedom wise, neither do they have the beaches and such opportunities to camp overnight quietly and fuss free in such magnificent locations.

Next time we go it will be a whistle stop tour of the Uists and Bernerray, although a trip over the causeway to Eriskay is worth the drive if you are on the Uists, before crossing and spending most of our time on Lewis and Harris.

If you use the Uig ferries from Skye and have the time, the drive up the A855 past Raasay Island (to your right) is much more interesting than the direct route along the A87 as there are some spectacular views - if it ain't blowin' a hoolie and horizontal rain that is!

Franny - 2007-02-01 8:34 AM

I see its still no camping on Berneray.

We now have changed our plans to completely miss out Berneray.

We where hoping to go there for at lease a month in July but could never afford these prices.

Anywhere for free in the Uists? links anything!!

Thanks

Berneray is a very small island, so you wont miss much if you miss it out ,but you will need to go onto it via the causeway to get the ferry (assuming you are doing all the outer hebrides, from Barra to Lewis, or vis versa).

We stayed on it last year and from our research had intended to camp at the hostel, as camping was banned on the rest of the island. This was reputedly due to an influx in previous years that had damaged the ground. However when we arrived we found quite a few people on a grassy area next to the hostel, so stayed the night. You could probably also stay at the ferry carpark, which has water and chemical disposal point.

We read quite a few threads on the visithebrides.com site, and were surprised at the 'arguments' raging from different 'factions' on the islands

especially about sunday sailings.

As i say we travelled the whole of the outer hebrides and had no problems 'wild camping' including the uists. I've detailed the trip in another post, have a look here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5753&posts=15

We really enjoyed our trip, but it is a very different way of life to the mainland.

Jules

• 4 months later...
I see some of you are thinking of caravaning/campervaning on the Isle of Lewis, as I live on the Island if you need any informaton about overnight stays etc - send me an email with details of what you are looking for and I will do my best for you. The Isle of Lewis and Harris is brilliant for views and hill walking and no problem wildcamping. email: vw@sheshader.fsnet.co.uk

• 1 month later...
Guest Franny
Did anyone go to Berneraythis year? I heard that the ones that did not pay up got moved on. Glad I did not go this year as it would have spoiled it for us. We ended up at Harris this time. Will be going back to Harris again as it was better that Berneray. :-)

Archived