italian autoroutes

mpb

could anyone advise us on italian autoroute charges for a motorhome,

can we pay cash or must it be a credit card.we are thinking of going from northen italy to just south of naples by autoroute, would it be quicker and safer doing this.

cheers

M.P.B

"at last our holls are confirmed for next year"

:-D

Mick

Autostrada tolls are substantially lower than French autoroutes, but they still mount up over long distances.  I'm afraid I've no idea what the trip cost would be currently.  However, we travelled South of Naples in 2006, and had no problem at all with cash payments then.  We used the Udine to Trieste autostrada this spring and again paid tolls in cash without problem.  Quicker?  Infinitely!  Ordinary main roads in Italy are generally crowded with long lines of endlessly jinking traffic, all looking for a half chance to overtake the vehicle in front, irrespective of how many more there are in front of that.  It's an Italian thing!  The more minor roads are much emptier, and prettier but, because of the hills, twist and turn and take for ever to travel.  Much nicer, though, if you have the time.  Safer?  If your van is RHD, I think probably yes, if the comparison is with main roads.  Comparing autostradae with most minor roads, I'd just favour the minor roads because Italians do such potty things, and the more of them there are, the pottier they get.  You'll need to keep a sharp eye on the surface in some places, though, because some of the older autostradae are getting a bit knackered and a spot of pothole avoidance is necessary from time to time!  And I do mean potholes, not just rough patches!  If you're heading for Pompeii, it is very large, very hot, and there are no public toilets or refreshment facilities as you go round.  Herculaneum is, for my money more interesting because although smaller, it is more intact.  If you're going Greek, Paestum is worth a visit.  There is a railway from Sorrento to Naples, that stops at both Pompeii and Herculaneum, called the Circumvesuviana.  Bit ramshackle, but not expensive and quite frequent.  Makes getting into Naples much easier and safer!  Why Naples? Because if you are doing the Roman bits, all the goodies - and they are really spectacular - have been carted of the the archaeological museum in Naples.  That, and they do a decent pizza, of course.

Driving the autostrada around Milan was the first time I have driven on a motorway and meet traffic coming other way! There was an acident which blocked road and they just turned around and drove wrong way to get to exit.

mpb - 2008-08-09 8:10 PM

could anyone advise us on italian autoroute charges for a motorhome,

can we pay cash or must it be a credit card.we are thinking of going from northen italy to just south of naples by autoroute, would it be quicker and safer doing this.

cheers

M.P.B

"at last our holls are confirmed for next year"

:-D

Hi

You can get some indication of toll charges if you put your route through the "Via Michelin" route planner. It gives prices for cars I believe but it could be a guide

Enjoy

Archived