site near Cologne?

UNITYJAN

Hi

We have stayed at Camping Berger, website:

http://www.camping-berger-koeln.de/english/camping_berger_home.html

It is situated on the Rhine and there is a cyclepath all the way into Cologne. I think it is about 7 or 8 km or so. We have only stayed there when we went to the Xmas markets, 3 times, but didn't take our bikes with us then.

One June we went to stay there on the way to Southern Germany and Austria, and it was that packed that we turned round and went to another site on the other side of the Rhine (it was a weekend but we still got in no problem at the other one):

http://www.camping-koeln.de/index.php?lng=en&nav=index

That was also a very nice site, from where you can cycle into town, actually closer than the first site.

Well that worked so well-we are visiting the camping-Koeln campsite! it is perfect and only 4km from city centre!

I now have only four sites to find-near to Basel-I read this can be a nightmare place, so the outer areas are fine, Around Zurich,(during euro 2008-eek!) around Strasbourg(cycling distance),and Trier(cycling distance).

Any recommendations/websites most gratefully received.

Incidentley we picked up on a feature about Camping Memling Brugge in one of last years MMM issues and as a result, are having our last two nights of our trip there, and have been so impressed with their help and courtesy whilst making the booking.

Thanks MMM ;-)

Jan fox(Hymer B524)

It is about 3 or 4 years since we visited that site, but it was a really nice site then, the owner was really nice and chatty too.

Cologne is a nice town too, although we have only ever been during December when the Xmas markets were on. Normally we take our bikes with us when we go on holiday, but during December we don't 'cos of the weather.

If you are feeling fit, a climb up to the top of the Dom is a must in my opinion. The view from the top is fantastic, it helps of course if the weather is clear!

Unfortunately I can't help you with Basel, Strasbourg or Trier, never been before, but this May/June we are planning to go to Switzerland on the way to the Italian Lakes.

Ina.

since starting this thread, we have visited the NEC and were pleasantly surprised to find a whole area dedicated to sites abroad!

We have now got a whole library of European campsites-just have to find time to look at them all now!

Can't wait to get to Switzerland!!

Jan ;-)

Hi UNITY JAN,

Quick point about Camping Memling. Yes it is a good site and very convenient for Bruges Centre (centre can be walked in 30 mins or there is a bus nearby). We were there this last weekend and there is a lot of work going on. Upshot was that we could not dump waste (our last site before returning home!) and getting fresh water was difficult. Can only be done while reception is open (0830 to 12) as taps are turned off for the winter. Things may have improved but thought you might like to know. New hardstandings for motorhomes are good but pretty tight at just 35 square metres (this is about what you get on the Aire). OK in the winter but I would not have been impressed had I wanted to put the awning, chairs and table out. Enjoy your stay in Bruges.

Delfin Driver

To UnityJan

An alternative to the Memling campsite (in view of the comments made about it), is Klein Strand at Jabbeke. We have used this site on a number of occasions when travelling to/from Holland/Germany. It is a site which is in the ACSI scheme and this year costs 14 Euros a night. Pitches are bigger than what they seem to be at Memling. Downside is that it is quite near the motorway so some noise is inevitable. But the toiletblock is very clean (heated in winter), and from there you can also get a bus into Brugge, it is about 6 miles from there.

Website link (in English):

http://www.kleinstrand.be/index.asp?taal=uk

Ina.

Thanks for the advice-hopefully the taps will be on full time in June, and I will bear the pitch size in mind-maybe an e mail expressing concerns on size might give us a better pitch-I cannot fault their help so far!

I think we will stick with this site as we like to cycle and it is fairly near to the centre.

Jan-Hymer B524(affectionately known as Homer ;-)

Archived