trip to italy

mpb

can anyone help. in sept we are going to italy for our holls. we shall be

taking our dog. would anyone know of campsites in the sallerno area, also

how safe is it traveling and camping in italy.

thanks

M.P.BROWN :D

Hi MPB, I have been holidaying in Italy, including Elba and Sicily for about 20 years. In all that time I have not once felt unsafe or threatened.

The campsites vary a great deal in facilities and quality, the most expensive are not always the best. I use mainly sites that are members of the ACSI Camping Card scheme or I use Camping Cheques. The majority of their sites are of a very reasonable standard and with the out of season discounts they are very good value for money.

Although I have stayed in most parts of the country I have never stayed at Salerno, the nearest I have been is at Paestum, just down the coast a little. Lovely ancient ruins/excavations, beautiful beaches and there is a large number of campsites in the vicinity.

Phil.

From personal experience - not hearsay - of incidents, I advise you to watch out for distraction theft from vehicles and of vehicles in the main tourist spots, especially historic sites. The danger signals are: a "local" indicating where you can park - they will try to get you into an area where you can be blocked in, also watch for a car stopping on the road in front of yours and reversing rapidly up to your front bumper - look in your mirror for another blocking yours from behind. If this happens keep your vehicle's doors and windows locked and if you feel threatened make like you are calling the police. Be ready to set off the vehicle's alarm if necessary.

A "local" demanding payment for you parking on a road, when the tourist site car park is full - check the rules/signs but better, drive off and find somewhere else.

At or near tourist sites do not let a female passenger or child get out of the car first, the driver should get out, lock their door and walk round to the passenger door, then lock that door immediately and before opening the boot or hatch. If you don't follow this advice the passenger may be targetted by a shouting/abusive/threatening man or woman and when you jump out to intervene the accomplice loitering nearby - or who reversed a car up to the front of yours, opens your vehicle and rifles through door pockets and glove box, grabs anything on seats etc. Similarly don't use a remote release for a hatch/boot or habitation door, physically stand next to it and open it with a key but only after locking all the other doors.

I don't want you to be paranoid, Italy is a worth a visit but just be aware and careful and have a good look around before parking and getting out of a vehicle and always keep valuables out of sight and preferably in a safe. A snatched bag with passports, money, keys etc is a major pain.

Bob

Philman - 2008-01-07 6:07 PM

Hi Bob, are you talking about Spain not Italy?

Phil.

Hello Phil,

No, Italy. I've been there several times on business and had no problems on those trips but have had problems, one very serious, on two out of three holiday trips. That's why I believe tourists are targeted and I advise caution and heightened awareness. On the business trips I wore suits, looked confident, knew where I was going and probably also blended in with the surroundings. On the holiday trips with the family we inevitably looked like tourists and I could not always give proper attention to what was going on around us, hence why I think we attracted attention because we looked more vulnerable. Offenders in the UK will usually exploit any opportunity they are presented so I expect Italian criminals have a similar "professional" ethos. The incident at Herculaneum was a very well organised and equipped gang with at least 5 men in 2 cars and 2 more on foot. The police in the nearby (400 metres) copshop could not have been more disinterested in my complaint, the 4 bus drivers watching the incident from 100 metres thoroughly enjoyed what they seemed to find a most entertaining break to the monotony of their day and local pedestrians scurried away.

I agree with your sentiment though - in any unfamiliar place it is wise to be extra vigilant and on reflection, particularly if one is sitting in a vehicle worth 5 to 8 times the local annual wage.........

Bob

ok, it was 6 years ago, but everyone we talked to on our 1 year euro trip (and i mean everyone) who had been to the south of italy, said they had trouble, and most had their van broken into.

All said it was fine north of Rome, terrible south of rome

thank you for the info.it seems it would be safer to stay on reconised sites

than risk wildcamping.we will be visiting a village called calabritto looking

for the wifes longlost relatives.so sites along the coast will be fine.

again thank you.

m.p.brown (hymer, signo 100)

In April 2006, we toured Italy, leaving in early April and returning home mid-June.

We visited (stopped in) Oriago (for Venice), Bologna, Urbino, Gubbio, Assisi, Vieste, Alberobello, Lecce, Matera, Pompeii, Rome, Siena, Florence, and Pisa - in that order.  We used campsites in all locations except Matera, which was an aree di sosta.  We used public transport to get to the cities, bus and rail.  While at Pompeii, we also visited Herculaneum and Naples by rail.  I did have a little "go" at a tradesman who was trying to nick the water hose and reel at Matera, but apart from that, we were never troubled by security concerns, either while driving, walking, or on buses or trains.  I met one German whose hired van who had been broken into when it was parked in a roadside bay.  No one else we met spoke of scares or concerns (apart from Italian driving, but that is a different subject!).  I'm not saying it can't happen, but I really don't think you're significantly more likely to get robbed in Italy that anywhere else.

brian, thanks for that, we will be traveling in september hopefully it may be cooler! i have found a few sites through ACSI along that bit of coast from sallerno south which will be of use for us.

mileage from where we live to the naples area is about 1500 but i only have 3 weeks to get there and back,2 weeks to get there and back with 1 week in the area should make it an interesting trip.

M.P.B

Did the grand tour three years ago which included the whole of Italy, starting at lake Garda then onto Venice and down the East coast via Ravenna, Rimmini, Pesaro, Ancona, Pescara. Then across to Naples, Pompei.and up the west coast via Monte cassino, Rome and onto Pisa, then back to France.

We did a mixture of campsites and wild camping and never once felt threatened apart from the dogs roaming in packs around pompei. (Aparently thier owners leave them to roam when they go on holiday)

Just use common sense and take on board what others have said.

If not you wouldn`t see anything of the world.

thank you foxy, the more we hear the more we should find it fine, as long as you keep your wits about you. we are looking forward to our italian trip in september,hopefully the weather will not be to warm. we shall be touring the campania area and visiting a village called calabritto finding my wifes grandfathers family if any still live there! acorrding to the villages website ther are 57 families living in the area with her grandfathers name, so could be a long week!.

thanks again.

M.P.BROWN

live long and prosper :D

Hi MPB, September is still quite warm in Italy, We often go away at that time of year and the temperature is generally in the mid 30s so you wont need your winter woollies until you get back into Austria or Switzerland.

One year, in late September, I remember it was 33 as we entered the San Gottardo tunnel and it was minus 5 when we exited at the other end. We stopped at the car park and threw snowballs at each other. It was so pleasant to get out of the heat for a short while. (lol)

Phil.

Archived