vineyards in france,spain

sibhyd

anybody got any info on staying in vineyards?

Heading from Roscoff all the way down to the south of spain.i was thinking of taking a break from camp sites a bit of the way,any web sites or names of vineyards?I still have`nt maped out a route yet any sugestions! (lol)

Guest starspirit

You could always get the France Passion book which is widely available via the MCC or Amazon, amongst others, or direct from France Passion.

It costs about 27 euros it gives hundreds of free places to stay in France of which many are vineyards.

Guest starspirit

We don't plan routes as any journey is part of the holiday for us and as we have all the time in the world we don't need to rush anywhere.

We just wander off in a general direction and decide each evening where to stop and each morning where to wander to next.

Other than avoiding toll motorways I'm sorry I can't suggest routes for you.

However if you do want to crack on to a specific destination it may well be worth paying the tolls to avoid the towns and villages which, although rarely busy, do take time to pass through - specially when you keep stopping!

Bear in mind that it is deemed less safe to stop overnight on motorway and main road Aires and service areas.

The book 'Guide Officiel Aires de service Camping Car' is very usueful as it gives over 4000 cheap or free overnight Aires in France and you are rarerly far from one - specially if you plan your route to include towns and villages that have them.

Some will be very pleasant, some very basic and a few downright awful, so be prepared to move on if you don't like what you see.

Spain I believe, although I have not taken the van there yet, is more difficult with very few Aires and official but non site places to stop.

However that said there are areas in many towns where vans congregate and are tolerated due to the trade they create but I would never stop any where in Spain or Med coast France unless there were other vans there too.

thanks for that guys,its great to get helpful info.were only new to all this

so were delighted to get info from people in the know.One thing we have decided is we will not be staying anywhere thats not safe ie aires,just to save a few bob.Any more info out there??????

(lol)

Guest starspirit
We too saw the France Passion book in a caravan / motorhome dealer in Calais which suggests that you might be right Derek.

There is an alternative scheme to France Passion - it's called Camping-Car d'Hotes and it's described on www.campingcardhotes.com From what I remember you are allowed up to 2 nights on a property (rather than France Passion's notional one) and you can join by purchasing a rather posh book (also sold in motorhome dealerships) that gives details of the members of the network and acts as a travel guide. The number of properties involved is considerably inferior to France Passion's and I've yet to meet anyone who has used the scheme.

Guest starspirit

I think the Camper Stop Europe book mentioned is now from Vicarious Books at Minehead and can be ordered direct for £19.99 post inc., or bought from them at one of the shows sometimes at a slightly discounted price.

They also do many other books that might be of interest.

Archived