wfi

omar

Thanks Omar, that one has now been noted! Is this the campsites intentional provision of wfi, or just someone's unsecured network? We have picked up wfi at the CC site at Baltic Wharf, nothing to do with the Caravan Club though! It would be so NICE if the CC would move into to 21st Century and provide wfi on some of their sites.

Does anyone know?... does it cost the site anything to install and supply WiFi?  Most hotels I use that have WiFi simply require me to pay the supplier (BTOpenzone or whatever) and there is no extra room charge.  I think it would be worthwhile watching pitch fees.

There is a new service coming to many parks called Club WiFi. It will allow anyone with a WiFi enable device to connect to the internet. You can select the number of hours you wish to purchase for a small charge and if you don't use all the time purchased in one go, you can log on again until it is used up, even if you move to another park that has Club WiFi. Let me know if you want to know more.

It doesn't cost them anything when you use their wi-fi. Most sites especially CC Sites have internet so it would cost them no more than £70-£80 to set up a wi-fi connection and people could piggy-back on that connection. No need to charge, it doesn't cost them and they could restrict it to camp site users only by setting up a password. Can't see why CC haven't done but then again maybe members haven't asked them to? Here's hoping...............

• 2 months later...
Caravan CLub now have WiFI facilities on about 4 or 5 of their sites.....but at a Charge, £6 for 1hr, I think it was, and usage within 24hours. The subject was aired quite extensively on the Motorhome Forum site, especially related to the costs, botheof setting up and for members to use. The general feeling seemd to be that this was about average, and there are 'ways and means I beleive of subscribing for longer periods if you want to use if regularly, and especially if you are a BT Internet customer. I was told by the club they make no profit from the charges, but I am sure the facility will be 'rolled out' to more sites before long..

Guest Frank Wilkinson

[QUOTE]bubblechris - 2006-10-25 8:36 PM It doesn't cost them anything when you use their wi-fi. Most sites especially CC Sites have internet so it would cost them no more than £70-£80 to set up a wi-fi connection and people could piggy-back on that connection. No need to charge, it doesn't cost them and they could restrict it to camp site users only by setting up a password. Can't see why CC haven't done but then again maybe members haven't asked them to? Here's hoping...............[/QUOTE]

Surely a site would have to fit some kind of relay system as the wifi signal may not be strong enough to reach every part of the site? Wifi has a limited range. Also, I doubt that all sites have a broadband connection as broadband is limited to a certain distance from a BT substation and the rural location of most sites may preclude this.

All sites may have an internet connection but I suspect that for the majority it's a dial-up one. After all, I don't think that site wardens spend a lot of time online. Perhaps once or twice a day to download bookings etc?

• 1 month later...
Hi I'm currently in Spain ,Denia,Camping Los Pinos ,La Rotas and the site is WI FI enabled,it costs 50 cents a day ,2 euros a week or 5 euros a month,for an entry code ticket and then off you go.Its very reliable and works very well,I'm logged on to it at this very moment 11 -20 pm Spanish time.

Watched a program on TV last night about wifi,the program showed how unbelievably easy it was for some bad elements to steel your ID,all they had was an aerial and a few other bits and pieces,all available over the counter, and just drove around waiting for people to go on-line, they could literally see what you were doing on your PC as you were doing it,very scary. I'm phoning my PC supplier today to check that my protector is good enough. please please please make sure you have a very good program/protector on your computer to stop this from happening.cheers choppa

Archived