Advice from experienced campers please!!!

kath

Hi, I’m looking in to setting up a campsite on my farm next summer and would really appreciate some advice from experienced campers. What kind of toilet and shower facilities do you expect? I’m looking into portaloos and mobile shower blocks, has any one got any experience (good or bad) of using these?? Horror stories welcome!! Thanks! Kath x

Guest Sally Pepper
Hi Kath, Can I suggest that your first port of call should be one of the two big clubs: The Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravan Club. Here's a link to the relevant page of the C&CC site. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/Category.asp?cat=103 Good luck! Mark

We have stayed on sites with portaloo's and mobile shower blocks, they usualy seem a bit shabby compared to 'proper' buildings but if you need to keep outlay low and get instant building then they are ok. We dislike having to find change for pay showers, and hate the token one's, there has to be a good reason for us to go back to sites with these. Don't have the plastic toilets you see at shows if you want return customers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have stayed on one site with a portaloo and shower, 1 of each for the a site with about 20 family tents .It was absolutely awful, it stank, it was cold and the loo roll was non-existant. If you have to get them for financial reasons , Once your in profit ,get a toilet/shower block built .Try not to charge for the showers, use the push button showers that ration the hot water( the same as national trust campsites )as people will get out of the shower quicker as it gets annoying pressing the button in all the time. 8o|

have to add my vote to the comments above, temporary showers and loos always look cheap and seem to be dirtier and colder than permanent structures, but then this could be because they are being run on the cheap - perhaps if the same time and effort is invested in keeping them smart it would show, but it does\seem as tho the shower pressure is always abysmal in them. I also dislike using coin/ tokens to operate showers, they run out at the most inconvenient time! Use psuh-buttons as per France Netherlands etc also, as a motorhomer, if you are near public transport I suggest you say so and offer timetables. Good Luck

Archived