Advice

Huff

I've been a camper all my life and stayed under all types of canvas from my first ridge tent right thru to my parents swish folding camper. But since leaving home and striking out on my own most of my camping has been done with a succession of lightweight backpacking tents. The most recent being my 3 man Coleman Viper which i have to say is the best tent i've owned thus far.

Now however i've aquired a girlfriend and a dog and the viper is feeling a bit cramped! I've been looking at bigger tents and i've drawn up a shortlist of models im interested in and if anyone who has experience of these tents could offer their advice or suggest any alternative tents id be very grateful.

Im not the most patient of people when it comes to pitching tents and we only have a small car so size, weight and ease of pitching are the priorities but we also want enough living space to fit a table and chairs inside the tent.

Models im looking at so far are, Vaude Sly Fox, Outdoor Revolution Scenic VRX and the Star Camper 3 (altho im concerned this may be a little small for my needs). I also like the look of the Eureka! range but these are a little pricy so id need to be convinced they are worth the extra money.

I would prefer a tunnel type over a dome cos of the problems threading long poles thru acres of canvas with large domes.

All advice and opinions gratefully receieved.

Cheers

have you, or could you actually go somewhere to see these tents youve chose?it would give you a better idea . I would also go for a bigger berth than stated as they are not made for double air beds but for the single body side by side

nackle - 2007-08-15 8:32 PM

have you, or could you actually go somewhere to see these tents youve chose?it would give you a better idea . I would also go for a bigger berth than stated as they are not made for double air beds but for the single body side by side

Yes i have seen all the tents i mentioned up and at one place i was even able to practise pitching some of them. What i was really after was some info on owners of these tents to see what they are like to live with long term and highlight any particular weaknesses or strengths.

And yeah i totally agree about going a berth above what you need. ideally im looking at a 4 berth tent to make it comfy for the 2 of us but with the option of sleeping 2 friends if we need too.

Cheers

Archived