Beach Capmsite Wales

pfenwick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The most obvious site is Shell Island. They only take tents and you cann't pre-book, I believe it gets very busy at bank holidays. I haven't camped there myself as they don't allow campervans, but here is a link to their website and some reviews http://www.shellisland.co.uk/shell/camp/camp.htm http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2693

• 3 weeks later...
There are plenty around Aberystwyth/Borth area: some are joint statics/tourers/tents i.e. at Clarach [name escapes me sorry]. On the South Road at Aberystwyth is a nice site near the river. If you contact the Information place in Aber - they have a web-site - you can get more details. Ocean View, Clarachis also a good place: self catering farm with 4 units, plus statics and tourers - just a few moments walk from a safe beach with river running into the sea. Playground for kids, good loos, fish/chips - views to the hills behind. Borth has a good site near the Golf Course. Ynyslas Dunes are a great place on a windy day for kids to play, the sea goes out a long way though! Aberaeron has good sites - great for honey ice cream too! You've probably had your hols by now ;-) but if you want more info let me know - I lived at Borth many years ago!

• 5 months later...
I think Bigmoney2 is wrong about Shell Island, we have camped there in our motorhome on 2 occassions and we have not been alone. There must have been around 15 or 20 motorhomes parked up. It has a fantastic beach and sand dunes to die for, the only down side from what I can remember is the toilet and showers. Dont use them, they should carry a government health warning.

The apparent contradiction between the 'tents only' and 'motorhomes too' comments about the Shell Island campsite is resolved on website www.shellislandcampers.co.uk This says: "There are some 300 acres of land allocated to camping. This makes Shell Island the biggest campsite in the UK and the Biggest Tenting site in Europe. Unfortunately we only have a tent license and therefore cannot accept Caravans or Campervans. Campervans can be accepted if they have a tent for sleeping purposes. It may sound ridiculous but then the Vehicle becomes a means of transport !!" As it's unlikely that a large gathering of motorhomes will all have sleeping-tents, it seems probable that this regulation is not rigidly enforced.

Welcome new users - how can *anyone* be thinking about camping at this time of year - then I look and see the thread is 'old' (lol) wouldn't get me sleeping on the ground any more though we had great times, especially below Plymlimnon one hot May bank holiday weekend. Still Clarach is a lovely place, on a still night you can watch dolphins in Cardigan Bay!

Archived