First timer?

Guest Mike

Hi, I am thinking of buying a tent to get started and go camping with my son. Being a first timer can anybody assist me in what to look for in a tent. We have one on sale where i work (3 person, £15.97) does not mention Hydrostatic head- just conforms to BS 6341 i think, worried that you get what you pay for and it will not be waterproof. thanks.

Hi Mike, You're right to query this, find out the make of the tent, there's many reputable ones out there but there's also the rubbish ones. You'll find with many tents that although they may advertise 3 person you'll not have room to swing a cat in them with 3 people. Log on to www.ukcampsite.co.uk (it's the biggest camping forum in the UK) and hit the 'Features/Tips' button and/or use the 'tent talk' forum on there. Cheers Pete.

Guest clive
Hi although you say that you are looking at a three man tent have you thought about the size as some of them are very tight for three people, i would go for a four man tent so as to give plenty of room. clive cocm

Thanks clive, thing is neither of us have been camping before!! Other advice i've had said 'what if you dont like it' which i suppose is a valid point so dont want to spend a fortune too soon - i can always upgrade later. Mike

Having just come home from my first camping trip with my granddaughter in what was supposed to be a 6 man tunnel tent,my advice to anyone is- check the height of the tent. There is nothing worse than having to crawl on hands and knees trying to get a child dressed and fed on a wet and windy day. Good luck I hope you enjoy it as much as us. Have rebooked for the end of August.

Archived