France in August

Minstrel

We're intending to go to France in August, do we really need to pre-book campsites?

We'll cross from Dover as always (so much cheaper than Britanny Ferries, which would save us lots of miles) and intend to go to the West coast to surf for a bit (only belly boarding). I'd like to hedge my bets and stay further north if the weather's good, but might go right down beyond the Gironde.

Well personally I wouldnt book but we dont go to the seaside so I dont know how full the sites get there :-S but the beauty of a motorhome is you can easily move on and find somewhere! we went for six weeks last year through Holland Germany and France and never booked once.

Minstrel - 2009-04-22 5:23 PM

We're intending to go to France in August, do we really need to pre-book campsites?

We'll cross from Dover as always (so much cheaper than Britanny Ferries, which would save us lots of miles) and intend to go to the West coast to surf for a bit (only belly boarding). I'd like to hedge my bets and stay further north if the weather's good, but might go right down beyond the Gironde.

Have you worked out the cost of fuel from Devon to Dover? Both ways plus the French side, as you presumably will cross to northern France. We live in Portsmouth and found that the cost of gettimg to Dover , driving back across Northern France to Brittany and beyond, cost nearly as much as getting the ferry from Portsmouth. We now get the fast cat, from Portsmouth to Cherbourg (3 hrs) then drive down. it saves a lot of driving time and frustation. well worth the extra cost .We are off early May heading down to Spain. we may be pensioners. but shrouds don't have pockets!! Live life for to-day!!

PJay

We bought a carnet of 6 crossings, two for skiing, two for August in France and two for november, we're not sure.

As we don't use motorways we don't think we'll be out of pocket, at 50 - 55mph we are getting around 30mpg.

I do miss the Poole-Cherbourg route though, going on the lunch time ferry was just wonderful.

France in August depends on where you intend to stay .

On the whole you actually dont really have to book anything in France because (not that you may want it ) But in reality you will always find somewhere in France because there are just too many places,fields Aires Motorway Aires little pull ins laybys .Its not like England where we have this typical stupid attitude to road sense .

Take a break don't drive whilst tired signs and then we provide no pull ins or we charge over the top for people to stay in some silly over priced car park .

So I wouldnt say its a definate you have to book .On the other hand if you roll up at some campsite next to the beach and its a popular one you may not get in . If you know exactly where you are heading and dont want to be dissapointed then book . If you intend on keeping moving take your chances there are always loads on Municple site and the little municiple book is fantastic at finding them for you .

Had some peacful fantastic nights by the river fishing relaxing just with no booking found in the book .

Good luck and enjoy .

• 3 months later...

just booked it we are travelling from leeds to portsmouth then over to saint malo then down to the vendee (St. John De Monts) we are camping with our own tent for the first ime abroad we have camped before but always in their tents or mobile homes so it will be a bit of an adventure. we booked the site through the Alan Rogers france campsite book which was easy peasy, we booked our own ferry direct with brittany ferries although alan rogers would book everything we found it was more expensive through them.

just one question i have a 10 amp hook up that i use here (uk) the pitch in france says it comes in the price with 10 amp ehu water and drainage but will the socket be the same as on my uk ehu or is it say 10 amp but 2 pin or something?

Archived