Help wth tent info

lesleyduerden

Hi

I am new to the site and camping, I bought a Kenyo touring tent and been it in this weekend. It rain Saturday night but the inside was wetter than outside and was then dripping through the bedroom compartments so we woke up wet is this normal? or have I been sold a duff tent.

Please help as unsure what to do

Thanks

Lesley :-(

Hi Lesley.

I am fairly new to camping myself, having bought a Nevada 4. My first time out with this tent we were deluged with the wet stuff, but remained completly dry. Although, I was told that some tents need to become wet in order to become fully waterproof, however, not overly sure about that advice. I did, when buying, ask about HYDROSTATIC numbers and was informed that the higher the number the more the tent can withstand.

I remember from years ago that canvas tents needed to get wet in order for the fibers to swell and finally become fully waterproof. Condensation is also a slight problem for modern tents but with ventilation points at various positions this should not be too much of a problem. The best bit of advice that I was given by the outlet I bought my tent from was "if it rains, make sure that nothing is touching the outer skin from the inside" hope this little helps and I hope you resolve the problem.

Regards

Phil

Hi Lesley

Can not help but think something is wrong here. tent is advertised as being fully waterproof but you say it was comming in the sleeping compartment? Phil is totaly correct re all the precautions you should take about not letting the sides touch or be touched.

But assuming you were watchful of that - we never had the problems you describe when we were under canvas (gone soft now - caravan ;0)

Could it have been condensation?

Had you put it up properly?

If it is letting in water I would take it back to where you got it from.

If that is not possible for any reason then give it a good spray of Fabsil. Kept all of our tents and now keep our awnings safe and dry (and us inside them)with this stuff.

Hi

Thanks for your help!

I thought it was condensation the first night but then when there is more water inside than out I thought something was wrong, then when all woke up wet then something is wrong.

I have rang the company and they say that it is not rain proof so sending it back how can you camp in England when not weather proof.

Now waiting for new Hi Gear Zenobia 6 family tunnel tent. Hope we have better look but does say weatherpoof.

Thanks again

Lesley

Hi Lesley, I was told that in order for my awning to become waterproof I MUST spray all the joins with waterproofing spray the first time I put it up. Don't know if this applies to tents, but agree what numbskull designed a tent not to keep out the elements. Hope you get better satisfaction with your new tent. Joy

Archived