Naive Campers

Guest julie wilson

Guest julie wilson
Hi, I hope members might be able to help with some tips and advice to make our next Camping holiday more fun. We have 4 children and last summer holidayed on fabulous camp sites in France and Spain. Facilities on both sites were wonderful and the kids had a great time. However, we found the comfort aspects of camping severely lacking, I suspect due to being a bit naive and less than well prepared. Our camp beds deflated every night causing an uncomfortable nights sleep and the loos were sited quite a way from our pitches. In addition, cooking and eating were a nightmare, I suspect again due to inadequate tables, chairs etc bought in a hurry and not quite up to the job. We are planning to have another camping holiday this summer but would like to improve the experience. We have friends who have camped for years and love it. I also lived in a tent for six months myself many years ago while working abroad and had a fab time. However, we didn't prepare well for last year and I would rather not repeat our mistakes, by getting some advice from campers more experienced than ourselves. Many thanks Julie

hi julie we also have small children and find it helpful when booking a holiday to call the site and request a pitch close to all amenities, as for the sleeping arrangements we use camp beds, which are fab, no problems of deflating. and take up less space than the airbeds. We also take inflatable furniture, sounds strange but its great, especially at night if you are sitting in the tent, the camp chairs can be a bit of a pain after a while, so lying back on an inflatable couch with your feet up seems much better. its also worthwhile booking into a serviced pitch then your not reliant on gas lighting. The folding table and chairs which fit nicely into their own case are also great for eating around or just playing cards and having a glass of wine. We go camping with another family and we take a gazebo with us which we pitch between the two tents, we use this for all cooking and storing of foods, if you buy one make sure its got the four sides attached and not just a roof! and we have never had to pay extra for taking this, saves the space in your tent. Also buy an aluminium folding table, you can get them from tiso or any outdoor shop, they cost around £29.00 and its great for your cooker to sit on, saves you bending down, and then you can keep all you cooking stuff underneath. hope this has been helpful and hope you all have a great time Mags

Guest Julie Wilson
Thanks so much Mags. Your advice is much appreciated and I hadn't even considered camp beds or inflatable furniture. I've ordered a Gazebo too. Thanks so much Julie

• 2 months later...
Hi Julie We started camping with a family back in 1963 we cooked on two petrol stove and lived in a 4ft high ridge tent and travelled in a mini saloon Them added a flysheet extention for bad weather We put an extra ground sheet under our sewn in one, we had no tables but two folding wire chairs We used a folding "canteen" for pans AND plates Dont life change Dont know what your transport is the do some good folding beds now Look in _ Riversdale leasure or Towsure for gear they both do mail order WE joined the Camping Club (now Camping & caravanning club) and went on some rallies (a etter name would be weekend meets) our kids met up with some friends You get hints & ideas from the others Good travelling to you we are still going

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Julie, We are in our 4th year of camping with our 2 children, and I have to say each progressive trip things improve. Could you try some of weekend trips to try out new things? If we'd headed out for a week with our initial purchases I think that would have been the end of it! Don't expect to fix everything in one go, and remember that what suits one camper doesn't suit another: thats why there are SO many choices in the shops! Regarding cooking and eating, I think planning is the key. Think about what you want to achieve, then work out how you are going to do it. By starting with what you want to eat you should be able to work out your equipment. We initially bought a little camping stove, but decided later that we needed 2 burners. this year we have invested in electricity so we can have an electric cooler, and a light in the tent. Many campers manage quite happily without either, but I don't want to shop almost daily for family meals while I'm on holiday, and falling over the kids discarded clothes drives me mad! What meals you want to eat and the size/age of your children should give you a fair indication of what sort of table and chairs you need. Although I think the kind where the stools fold into the table are pretty good for family meals, and judging from the number of them you see on the campsite I am not alone. I hope that ramble is of some use to you!

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/ The above is a good place to get camping gear. We have camped for years (22) and now consider we are in the luxury bracket. Jackwoolfskin Hotel California tent, it had 2 bedroom pods but we only need the 1. The spare side we eat in if its cold. We cook in the porch. Have a cooker table with a back to it so not much danger from the flames. We have an airbed and use sheets, pillows & real luxury a duvet. We have the director style seats with the hole in the arm for your cold beer or wine. Would love electricity so we could have a fridge and better lighting, but then we would need a bigger car. Having the air bed and duvet has made all the difference to our camping. Above all you only need what makes you comfortable and it will be a lot different than your camping neighbour. Above all ENJOY. Liz

Archived