New to Camping ... but even newer to forums!!

Amanda_Shaw

Hi,

Went camping for the first time last year at ripe old age of 42! Loved it and already planning this years excursions, but would appreciate help.

My partner is a huge motor racing fan and I made the perhaps rash decision to go to a number of meetings with him .... provided we could camp (told you I loved it!!) Unfortnately I'm really struggling to find campsites near some of the circuits and wondered whether anyone could recommend any.

The circuits I'm looking at are: -

Croft, Nr. Darlington, N. Yorkshire

Snetterton, Thetford, Norfolk

Thruxton, Andover, Hampshire

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know some circuits have camping onsite but a little worried camping quite that close to the 'action' (would prefer a couple of fields away at least!) will put a dampner on my enthusiasm. But maybe someone reading this can set my mind at rest on that point too!

Many thanks. A.

:-D

Hi Amanda and welcome to the forum. There is a site a few mile's further up the A1(M) called Strawberry Hill Farm @ Old Cossop, Durham which was v/good last time we were there. Tel 0191 372 2512. 

www.strawberry-hill-farm.co.uk

I know it's not on the doorstep to Croft but it's not to far further North.

Brick Kiln Farm. Swaffham Rd. Ashill, Thetford, Tel 01760 441300. Never been so can't tell you anything about it.

Wyke Down Touring Caravan & Camping Park, Picket Piece, Andover. Tel 01264 352048. www.wykedown.co.uk same again, never been.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Amanda, you might be able to camp at the circuit (sometimes unoffically) see if you can have a chat with one or two of the officials

I used to marshall (in my youth) and they would let us camp no problem. For the less professional racing a lot of the riders might also be camping so there is a great atmosphere you can get by being on the circuit - unless you want to get some peace and quiet and some sleep that is . . .

let us know how you get on

Almost all the regional Racing circuits have basic campsites for meetings.

The only one to avoid, IMO is the MotoGP. (Although I haven't been since it moved to Silverstone.)

If you like Club / National Racing, it's a great way to really get absorbed in the atmosphere & often enables you to get close to the Drivers/ Riders.

Croft - http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/forthcoming.php

The circuit is pleased to offer campsite facilities in a field adjacent to the circuit.

Facilities are limited, however there will be 24 hour security, portaloos and a drinking water tap.

Normal Tariff: £15 per pitch per night (£13 when booked in advance)

Pitch fee includes caravan, tent or motorhome with 2 occupants and 1 vehicle.

Extra person is £2 per day (children 12 years and under are free).

Advance booking for the campsite can only be made by telephone.

Please call 01325 721815 during office hours.

Thruxton.: www.thruxton.co.uk

Onsite Camping: Yes

Nearest Fuel: Just along the dual carriageway there is a 24h garage. The postcode is SP10 3LS

Snetterton http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/circuits/snetterton.asp

Camping Available On site- Strictly no admittance before 4pm Friday

Brands Hatch

http://ticket.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/2011/october/021011-btcc-bh.aspx

BTCC (October) Online Gate

Adult for weekend £15 £25 - Kids free

BTCC Brands Hatch offers family friendly on-site camping facilities to spectators at all our major events.

The campsite includes dedicated toilet and shower facilities, which are attended on a regular basis, and drinking water is also available at several points. Security and medical teams will also be on site during the weekend, and fire control marshals operate regular patrols.

Domestic barbecues (no disposables) are permitted on the campsite but must be attended at all times, and please note that fireworks are not permitted. We regret that animals are not allowed on site either.

Camping is also available free of charge for club level meetings.

Oulton Park.

http://ticket.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/2011/june/050611-btcc-op.aspx

BTCC (June) Online Gate

Adult for weekend £15 £25 - Kids free

All public camping is moving to behind the Old Hall corner as we have new improved shower/toilet facilities in this area. No public camping in the infield. All campers will enter the campsite via the Eastgate entrance. Click here for a detailed map.

Oulton Park offers on-site camping facilities to spectators at all our major events, including a designated family camping area with a 9.00pm noise curfew.

The campsite includes dedicated toilet and shower facilities, which are attended on a regular basis, and drinking water is also available at several points. Security and medical teams will also be on site throughout the weekend, and fire control marshals also operate regular patrols.

Camping is also available free of charge for club level meetings, where campers will have access to paddock toilet and shower facilities.

Domestic barbecues are permitted on the campsite but must be attended at all times, and please note that fireworks and open fires are not permitted. We regret that animals are not permitted on site either.

Archived