New to camping

buzz200

Hello. My family and I are about to start camping :-D And were wondering if anybody could offer some advice. We are 2 adults and 3 children, and are looking at buying an outwell indiana 8 http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=769

could anybody tell me if this tent is any good. We know it's a bit on the large side, but we want the kids to have different bedrooms, as we have 2 girls and a boy.

Also would anybody know of a checklist, or list of things that are recomended to take with you, as we are not to sure what we will need. Something i could download would be great.

Thanks for any help you can give BuZz *-)

Hi - nice tent - we looked at that one in Yeomans (Northampton) , but decided that it would be too big for us - and might cost a fortune to pitch.

Sorry but I can't help with your questions as we too are new to camping (or at least have not been for 20+ years!).

I'm sure someone who has a clue will be along soon :)

First of all Buzz, good choice on starting camping.

You wouldn't regret buyuing an Outwell Indiana. Another one worth a look would be the Vango Diablo 600 (£249).

My wife and myself have been camping now since before my daughter was born, and she is ten in March. We just can't get enough of the piece and quiet.

Apart from the usual things such as something to cook on, and with, bedding etc. we have found it useful to use the vaccum storage bags by JML. These are great for compressing down large (but light) items such as quilts or sleeping bags.

This tip came after me getting a company VW Golf after years of BMW's and Rovers, and realising that space is at a premium in this smaller car.

Oh, one other thing you may miss is some kind of light. Making a cup of tea at about 10pm is a struggle when you are using your cooker as a light.

All the best with your new venture, maybe we'll see you about :-D

Thanks

Mike

Thank you for the replys. I did have a look @ the diablo 600, but I want 3 beddrooms, as i have a boy and 2 girls. Allready have 3 vacum bags on order, so thats a good start, have the airbeds, and a table with chairs, so we have somewere to eat. Have been looking into getting some lighting, but was wondering, are the electric 1's better, as i don't want 2 be getting batteries every day. Thanks 4 any info BuZz :D

Buzz,

For lighting, we use a gas lamp, although with 3 kids running around, you may not want to go down that route?

The only thing with an electric lamp, is they need...well, electric.

We quite often stay at sites that hav no electric, so this is a definate no no for us. You are right though, we tried some battery lamps and they eat batteries like you won't believe.

Perhaps you could see if there are any wind up lamps out there?

All the best,

Mike

We have a rechargeable lantern, which you charge fully before you leave home & then top up if you need to from the ciggie lighter in the car. But we prefer our Camping Gaz 206 lantern - it takes the cheap gaz cartridges, gives a good bright light and it also takes the chill off the tent in the evenings.

If you're using airbeds, make sure you put a blanket or foam mat between the airbed & your sleeping bags, otherwise you may end up with a damp sleeping bag! When the heat of your body meets the cool air in the airbed, it causes condensation.

• 1 month later...

First off thanks for all the replys *-) Forgot to say that i don't drive so all 12v lights are out(don't fancy lugging the battery about) We will be going with my parents and there motorhome and will be on sights thats have electricity.

This is were we are going to try for our first camping trip as its only 50 miles from home if there are any problems.

http://www.brynich.co.uk/caravan/index.html

btw i cant get the checklist that CamperPete left me to work(it could be the firewall were i am) so another link would be great if anybody has 1. :-o

thanks again Buzz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Have to say that we had a great time, even if it did rain for 2 days out of four. Tent was great, and the site was very nice and clean. Just one complaint, why didnt someone say it would be so cold at night. We knew it wouldnt be very warm, but we froze the first night, and had to go get a heater. Would recommend the bourdeaux 6 to anybody with a large family, as even in the rain we still had lots of room. *-)

Archived