Noisy sites

Cliveg

Hi all

I am getting quite a few letters here at Camping magazine concerning late night noise on sites and would like to hear your views.

In fact, let’s also have a straw poll – should sites strictly maintain silence after 11pm at night?

Please email me at cliveg@warnersgroup.co.uk. Just put your yes or no answer, and silence in the subject line and we will publish the results.

Happy camping

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Many thanks to all who took the time to contact me regarding noise – the verdict of our recent straw poll is in and it is overwhelming – Camping readers want to see sites owners enforce a no noise policy at night. OK. Severity and times vary, for instance some who replied in detail are all for silence after 10.30, but the unanimous feeling is that campers should keep the noise down.

An interesting theme developed during the course of the poll. Many campers are starting to think that they are being treated badly by site owners compared to how they treat caravan and motorhome users. This may be linked to the excess behaviour of a sub-culture of new campers who have little self-respect or respect for fellow campers. I will post a few comments up shortly – and details of a new straw poll.

Cheers

• 9 months later...

I have just cut short a weekend at a "noisy site". Two nights were booked at the Newhaven Caravan Park near Ashbourne, never been before, a lovely site but incredibly noisy after 10.30, 11.30, er midnight and even after 1.00. Kids were running round screaming till after 11.00 and we were next to a tent with 3 lads and 1 girl who talked or seemed to shout till the early hours of the morning and the language was awful, swearing and rude language which fortunately my 7 year old son didn't hear as by some miracle he was sleeping. We weren't. Consequently we packed up and came home after 1 night. We were in a tent, we stayed up and had a drink outside, chatting quietly to each other; our child was asleep in the tent. Not shouting, not swearing and not disturbing anybody else. They did have signs up saying that noise was not permitted after 10.30, but unless someone is prepared to drive round and police it what can you do... Is it just us?

>:-(

Guest Tracker

Noise does tend to be an issue with 'non' club sites at times.

Have you tried the Camping and Caravanning Club as their sites are better regulated - or do they just get a better class of camper!

Many people don't seem to realise just how ineffective tents are at insulating sounds from music, talk, snoring, and even farting from near neighbours!

Hi,

I can relate to your problems.........

Last weekend my wife and I took our 10 year old to the Forest of Dean for 2 nights. We pitched up next to a family plus their friend, who seemed friendly when we got there, but as Friday evening wore on their music from the car stereo was getting a bit annoying!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I like my music loud but I wouldn't inflict it on my neighbours at any time of day.... :-S

It seemed like the whole site went to bed at about 10.30 but they didn't!!!!

The music stopped at 11.30 but the loud talking and swearing went on till 2.00am.

I was not in the best of moods the next morning due to lack of sleep, but kept quiet and got on with breakfast, then the normal morning sounds were joined by loud swearing from next to us..... sorry but that was it and I left the bacon and stormed over and let rip >:-(

The Mum was very sorry, the Dad had an attitude and didn't see what the problem was, and their friend (main culprit) was still in his tent.

I didn't like doing this but felt somebody had to speak up.

To their credit, after my outburst, they were model campers and by 10pm Sat night they were all tucked up and silent!!!

All we want is a bit of respect and consideration for others isn't it?????

tankosl - 2009-06-28 11:11 PM

All we want is a bit of respect and consideration for others isn't it?????

Depressingly, this seems to hold for life in general, not just camping. These noisy folk can't just be noisy when they go camping. It's just a sign of the sad state of Broken Britain - a lack of respect for others.

It's not all doom and gloom though. These people and their lack of respect/noise problems are in the minority. How many times you been camping and how many times have you been kept awake by noisy neighbours. Sure it's not as many times as the enjoyable noise free camping trips we all remember.

Complain to the warden if necessary, but don't let them get you down. Enjoy your holiday!

• 1 month later...
Havent been on this web site for ages been busy camping and we have a poorly mum to care for.Went to Breck Farm at Holt in Norfolk,great site could have camp fires bit basic for some but at the weekend our peacefull site changed.All right the site was busy which we dont mind dont mind kids or dogs,but they let on big groups which we dont mind but some of them well it was the usual music load at night and people drunk shouting at the top of there voices.I know we should have gone to c and c site but we just thought all campers were like us,like a bit of piece and quiet and to get away from everything.

Bloody hell I feel old for saying this but....... I'm 48 (although devilishly handsome and still very Peter Pan like ;) ) and wifey is 46 and still looks better than Britney (and yes she is looking over my shoulder when I type this), we have a 12 year old daughter thats uber into Twilight and a 1yr old golden cocker spaniel thats uber into hmmmm - everything!. We tent everywhere we can and I think the noise thing with the teens now is like a pandemic, it's nothing to do with camping, they just have no respect for anything. It's hard to explain really, I grew up in a very poor family, had next to nothing but were taught respect, yes I know this all sounds very Victor Meldrew but it's the truth, time and time again we will be sitting outside the tent in the evening and the conversation that comes from the teens would embarrass Linda Lovelace. I'm also a cab driver and it's the same in the streets (I live in a very quit town by the way), teenage boys walk in front of a 1 ton car seemingly unable to breathe with mouths closed. 4 weeks ago we camped at Kelling Heath, Norfolk, an absolutely fantastic site but plagued by families that dont seem to have control of thier offspring, the security guard on one occasion spent half of his night chasing packs of teens round the site with threats of eviction which obviously fell on deaf (or ignorant) ears. I could rabbit on all night about the subject but I'm just making myself feel older, we all want to have fun and or relax in our own way but it would be nice if parents drilled courtesy into thier kids a bit more often.

Rant over

Samninetysix - 2009-09-01 9:30 PM

Bloody hell I feel old for saying this but....... I'm 48 (although devilishly handsome and still very Peter Pan like ;) ) and wifey is 46 and still looks better than Britney (and yes she is looking over my shoulder when I type this), we have a 12 year old daughter thats uber into Twilight and a 1yr old golden cocker spaniel thats uber into hmmmm - everything!. We tent everywhere we can and I think the noise thing with the teens now is like a pandemic, it's nothing to do with camping, they just have no respect for anything. It's hard to explain really, I grew up in a very poor family, had next to nothing but were taught respect, yes I know this all sounds very Victor Meldrew but it's the truth, time and time again we will be sitting outside the tent in the evening and the conversation that comes from the teens would embarrass Linda Lovelace. I'm also a cab driver and it's the same in the streets (I live in a very quit town by the way), teenage boys walk in front of a 1 ton car seemingly unable to breathe with mouths closed. 4 weeks ago we camped at Kelling Heath, Norfolk, an absolutely fantastic site but plagued by families that dont seem to have control of thier offspring, the security guard on one occasion spent half of his night chasing packs of teens round the site with threats of eviction which obviously fell on deaf (or ignorant) ears. I could rabbit on all night about the subject but I'm just making myself feel older, we all want to have fun and or relax in our own way but it would be nice if parents drilled courtesy into thier kids a bit more often.

Rant over

Victor Meldrew or not I have to argree with what you say. On the whole you can see the campers whether it be caravan,motorhome or tent, who have consideration for others and you can see the people who don't give a s**t about others. It's not just reserved for camp sites it's everywhere and alot of it comes down to having been taught respect for others and elders whilst growing up. It's not going to change overnight as these people seem to think they are above the law or above any rules set out by site owners.

Archived