Personnel Hygiene

Guest David Coxhead

Guest David Coxhead
Personnel Hygiene Hello, I am a BA Product Design Student at Nottingham Trent University and currently working on a project in regards to personnel hygiene. I was wondering how people keep their body and in particular hands, clean when camping. Is keeping the body clean a problem when water is scarce? Are products that assist in cleaning the body effective? Any feedback will be great. Thank you for your time.

"I was wondering how people keep their body and in particular hands, clean when camping." WE WASH! WITH SOAP AND WATER!

Hi David, Depends if you're referring to Camping on an established commercial campsite or wild/basic camping. On commercial campsites they usually provide showers (for a nominal fee) and/or wash basins. For wild/basic camping then if there isn't access to some sort of standpipe/trough (yes, some farmers do provide a trough of water for you all to share!!!) then I'd use a local stream to wash myself using water only (no soaps or detergents etc) and/or a wash/cleansing wipe. I can't remember what the latter are called as it's a while since I've been wild camping but you can buy them at large supermarkets and good outdoor centres. Hope this of some help Cheers Pete.

Guest richard harvey
Hi David, for wilderness camping, especially in the summer when near water, soaps and shampoos attract all manner of insects, especially mosquitos, the skin when left unwashed builds up natural oils which act as a deterrant to these unwelcome bugs, this tip was passed onto me when camping in b,c canada by a native indian, i put it to the test and it seems to work, good luck with the research rich

Guest bertieburstner
If you're at university studying the subject I suggest the first thing to to is spell personal properly!

Guest Steve Johnson
Bertieburstner, Comments such as the one you left above are not helpful...especially as your grammar is not up to scratch either. I quote "...I suggest the first thing TO TO is spell personal PROPERLY!" CORRECTLY would have been the better choice, don’t you think?? David, I regularly use dry wash when camping and hiking as a temporary solution. Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE]richard harvey - 2006-03-15 7:50 PM Hi David, for wilderness camping, especially in the summer when near water, soaps and shampoos attract all manner of insects, especially mosquitos, the skin when left unwashed builds up natural oils which act as a deterrant to these unwelcome bugs, this tip was passed onto me when camping in b,c canada by a native indian, i put it to the test and it seems to work, good luck with the research rich [/QUOTE] Some years back I was given the same advice by a Lakeland farmer, when I was troubled by the local "Cliks" Our Indian doctor says to eat Garlic For david (is it who started this) My advice would be to go out and do some field work (excuse the pun) Join in a D of E group, Go to Afghanistan and help with the homeless he will see how people keep clean in the most difficult conditions

• 1 year later...
Ye Gods! David: you're a degree student, a product of 12 or more years' full time education; you a undertaking this B.A. study research; and yet you don't seem to even know the difference between "personnel" and "personal"? Methinks you have a long way to go with your research.

[QUOTE]BGD - 2007-07-21 3:11 PM Ye Gods! David: you're a degree student, a product of 12 or more years' full time education; you a undertaking this B.A. study research; and yet you don't seem to even know the difference between "personnel" and "personal"? Methinks you have a long way to go with your research. [/QUOTE] :D :D :D :D shame its over a year old and he gone with the wind ;-)

Here we have a serious question from a serious guy, surely you can do better than tring to show how "superior" you are by trying to belittle the guy over trivial matters such as spelling and grammar. Can you be sure that these errors are not the result of hitting the incorrect ket when typing , hands up the people who have never made any mistakes in this department themselves. Try being nice and just answer the guys question

• 3 months later...
I googled it and theres a web page devoted to cleaning your hands... http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/ We have a motorhome so have water onboard, but in case of running out... - I keep a bottle of wash which you can use to clean your hands without water that doesn't require rinsing off. Ours is a Spanish one as we live here... but heres one from Betterware... http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=036387&cid=174&language=en-GB I also keep a pack of Baby wipes in the cupboard, not the pull up type as they do tend to dry out and are also a good deal thinner than the tissue box variety. Useful for the dog as well! :-S Eeks.. just spotted how old this thread was.... oh well, better late than never! I'll not change!

interesting though, wonder if he ever came back wonder if he's taken advantage of the passage of time to learn the difference between personal and personnel or perhaps that's complimentary to his studies [nudge nudge wink wink] [ :D :D geddit :D :D ] [sorry - just had my first caffeine intake - sad innit *-) ] B-)

[QUOTE]Syd - 2007-07-25 10:22 AM Here we have a serious question from a serious guy, surely you can do better than tring to show how "superior" you are by trying to belittle the guy over trivial matters such as spelling and grammar. Can you be sure that these errors are not the result of hitting the incorrect ket when typing , hands up the people who have never made any mistakes in this department themselves. Try being nice and just answer the guys question[/QUOTE] Syd - with respect, the guy is attempting to pass a university academic degree. He's going to have to learn, quickly, that at that level of higher education, casual and slapdash simply doesn't cut it. Of course people make keying errors; the thing to appreciate is that you can then go back and check what you have typed in order to use your best efforts to correct it, before publishing it for the world to read. I would have hoped (expected) that someone pursuing an academically stringent and intellectually demanding course of study would have demonstrated their competence in this discipline. Are my comments harsh? Yes, I believe so. But realistic. Are my comments necessary? Also yes, I believe so; if he is going to have any hope of success at degree level, and subsequently in any type of professional career.

• 2 months later...
[QUOTE]Syd - 2007-07-25 10:22 AM Here we have a serious question from a serious guy, surely you can do better than tring to show how "superior" you are by trying to belittle the guy over trivial matters such as spelling and grammar. Can you be sure that these errors are not the result of hitting the incorrect ket when typing , hands up the people who have never made any mistakes in this department themselves. Try being nice and just answer the guys question[/QUOTE] Quite right Sid, but I do have my doubts re. the name " David Coxhead". Not another wind up surely.

• 2 months later...
Comments on spelling and grammar really p**s me off. We can't all be brains of Britain - even college or university students etc - and if we have to worry about pedantic readers, it is going to put a lot of us, including me/myself/I 8-) , from posting.... The young man may have put the wrong form of personal/personnel but there are probably things he can do a hundred times better than some of us who do know the difference. We all have our fortes and shouldn't jump on others from a great height..... they may still live to have their day of getting their own back. My response to the original question as well as baby wipes, disinfectant soap, etc., is that you learn with every journey how to save water. Water left over from heating the kettle for a cuppa becomes the washing up water, or the face wash water late at night, or cleaning teeth water. Every journey is still a learning curve for me on reserving electricity, water, energy etc.... and if the worse comes to worse a bit of stale sweat never hurt anybody..

• 4 months later...
When in India I carried a small piece of soap in a tin. A lot of stomach upsets can be attributed to poor PERSONAL hygene. Now with the paranoia about MRSA and CDiff,there are a plethora of cleansing products available. Alcohol based items that come in handy bottles are very useful. The Bettaware product is just one example,now it is easy to find similar items at pharmacists and supermarkets. Baby/wet wipes are a less convenient method,but are useful in the vahicle. Good luck with your course David,which i hope by now you have passed and are studying for a Phd maybe you have chosen 'Pedants and their raison d'etre'

Spot on, Yeti - hygiene is vital when camping (a good BP lesson). If you do not keep things clean then you are also likely to pass bugs on to all camping with you. I often pack Lifeventure All Purpose Soap - an "environmentally-friendly" liquid soap that is great for clothes as well as body. It even works in salty water. The big advantage is that, unlike soap, unwelcome grot does not stick to the plastic bottle when I drop it. Anyone out there who has used anything similar? Have just used Sage Rinse-free Body Washcloths (eight in a £2.99 pack) and Sage Foot & Groin Skin Protecting Washcloth (three in a pack - same price as above). Hmm, the image conjured up by the name is not a pleasant one - especially as they were designed for military use. But they are quite pleasant to use, leaving you cool and clean without having to use water. Great for use after outdoor pursuits when washing facilities are lacking.

• 7 months later...
As an Environmental health Officer who spends most of the week drumming the importance of good personal hygiene to food businesses I still find it hard to switch off at weekends. Unfortunately, my idea of camping is not quite slumming it as I don't think I could cope on a site with no showers! We always have a pack of wet wipes for hands etc and deodorant wipes for grotty bodies. I also bought some biodegradable washing up liquid for the pots and an all important biodegradable antibacterial spray for tables, surfaces and our Khampa Khazi. Even if I was wild camping I'd still have half an eye on hygiene. Can you imagine the stick I'd get for work if I ended up with food poisoning? Sarah

Hi, I did once wash a pair of socks in an empty pineapple tin, using shampoo and water that tasted of frogs The folowing day we found a stream, stripped off and climbed in to bathe, had to chase the little fish away. I like to think the water in the stream was about the same temperature as a hot bath in UK....but we found it to be cool. Finding the stream was bit of a surprise, as we were at Burami (sp?), about a hundred miles inland from Dubai. All corrections wil be welcomed. 602

Archived