Picnic snacks when camping

garethmorgan50

Does anyone have any good suggestions for easy camping picnic snacks..? They need to be easy and quick to prepare, easy to carry on hikes, and of course tasty.

A favourite of ours is French stick with pate and cherry tomatoes, but there are only so many times you can have the same thing, more than two days in a row and they become boring.

Please inspire me..

Crumbs, Gareth.... I mean Crumbs that's open to a long long thread, not crumbs as a picnic snack. The list is endless isn't it...

My HEALTHY snack, such as when I went to the NEC show was to actually make a full blown salad up with honey and mustard dressing (my favourite) and for the person with me who eats meat I put rolls of ham filled with something (I can't remember what now 8-) ) and sat on a bed of coleslaw which was on top of the salad. I put them in cheap food boxes and took plastic knives and forks which meant if I wanted I could just throw them away afterwards. Plus a stick of extra strong garlic bread.

Joy

Sat the ham rolled on a bed of coleslaw - I DIDN'T sit on a bed of coleslaw :$

Hi Roon,

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate it could be a long list, but at the moment I haven't got too many ideas.. I can't take pots with me and throw them away as the places where I walk don't have litter bins (mountains / wilds of Wales and Scotland) - I'm looking for ideas for hastily put together lunches that are tasty and easy.. there aren't any well stocked delicatesans either, usually just local spar shops.

I like the idea of healthy salad snacks but these don't go down well with the kids, although we do like wraps with salsa and a bit of salad with ham. They always manage to eat the cakes afterwards too...

Happy camping..

Gareth

garethmorgan50 - 2009-03-31 6:35 PM

Does anyone have any good suggestions for easy camping picnic snacks..? They need to be easy and quick to prepare, easy to carry on hikes, and of course tasty.

A favourite of ours is French stick with pate and cherry tomatoes, but there are only so many times you can have the same thing, more than two days in a row and they become boring.

Please inspire me..

Are you talking about fillings for sandwiches here ?

They are the most convenient things to take on a hike I would have thought.

...and the list is endless.

:-|

Archived