Tent material guarantees.

Guest C Garvey

Guest C Garvey
Anybody know the retail law regarding guarantees? I have a German Herzog Olymp Campervan Awning and a Royal Traveller Campervan Awning that are both new, both used once, and both have a problem with the material ripping and fraying from a single use each. The retailer (Geoff Bowen Awnings) have said 'hard luck' the material is not guaranteed!!?? Thats well over £400 spent on two awnings that have been used once before tearing, and apparently not covered by a guarantee. Is this legal? Anyone else had a problem like this?

I'm no legal expert but I would have thought that you do have a valid complaint (as long as they were purchased in this country). Ring the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau, they'll know your rights in this situation. Hope this helps. Pete.

The awnings clearly have not served the purpose for which they were sold and therefore under the Sale of Goods Act I would say that you have a very good case to take it up with the retailer (not the manufacturer). As Pete said contact the CAB and they'll provide you with free advice and leaflets explaining how to proceed. Alternatively just threaten the retailer with legal action - They'll normally back down and at least exchange the faulty products.

Archived