Tent with inner & fly 8 man

Guest Ann

Guest Ann
Our scout group are looking to replace their dome tent. Currently it is one which you put the inner up first then the fly sheet and they then do not put in the sleeping pods in order to give them maximum floor use. They would like another that gives them both the inner and fly without the need to put in the sleeping pods. Any suggestion.

Guest Pete
Hi Ann, Loads of 'em out there but it would depend on your budget. Vango Diablo 900 Outwell Hartford XXL Outwell Montana 12 Campus Breckenridge Deluxe to name but a few. I'm sure many people could name more off the top of their heads but the ones above all have the added advantage of sewn-in-groundsheets (SIG's). Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alison
Hi we have just bought a Campus Breckenridge deluxe. We were very pleased to get such a nice tent. The only problem is we cannot work out how to put it up as the instructions are not very good at all. What we needed is a simple diagram. I was wondering if anyone else has this tent and could give up some advice. We are not sure where the various poles are supposed to go. We are not new to camping but this does not seem as easy as we thought. We could not even get it in the bag. Alison Randall

Guest Pete
Hi Alison, Not sure which model yours is (2004 or 2005) but I owned the 2004 model (I think the 2005 model has the extra large porch area) and agree that the instructions would have benefited from a diagram. Anyway, here goes with my version of pitching instructions. Unpack and connect all poles grouping them into their colour codes (each end of the poles should have a coloured tape attached). Unroll the inner tent and lay it out. Starting with the longest poles (2004 model had 3 of them coloured coded with red tape) insert into matching colour coded sleeves on the inner tent. (Each of these poles should be insert diagonally so as they cross over each other in the centre). On the 2004 model the start of the sleeves for these poles had a red edging where the red colour coded pole was to be inserted. The end of the sleeve (in the centre of the inner tent) is a different colour BUT which matches the start of the next sleeve for the pole to continue it's journey across the inner tent with the end of this sleeve matching the colour coded pole. Once you have all 3 poles inserted then unzip the main door and have someone stand inside the inner tent and hold the poles up in the centre whilst you attach the end of each pole to the ring and pin system to form an arch. Now clip the hooks of the inner tent to the poles. The rest of the poles should now be easy as you just insert each colour coded pole into it's matching sleeve on the inner tent, attach each to the ring and pin system and clip on the hooks. As for not getting the tent back in the bag then the best way of achieving this it to fold the inner tent (length ways) so as it's slightly smaller than the width of the bag. Do the same with the flysheet and lay the flysheet on the inner tent. From one end start rolling the tent tightly (slowly allowing the air the escape) and then tie the rolled tent with the ties provided ....can help if someone sits on it at this stage:-) If the tent is still too large then unroll and re-roll (this allows any trapped air to escape further) and try again. Hope this helps Pete. P.S If you find your poles aren't colour coded then take it back to the shop as they should be.

Archived