Thoughts on a tent please...

BarryD

Hello, by a strange route we have arrived at a plan to go camping next year. We started with static caravans (at Butlins Skegness) and progressed via Motorhomes to camping. I've read quite a bit on the forum and have narrowed the choice of tents down to two (ish). We've too small boys 4 and 8 and a leaning towards the comfort side of life. We would like a tent with at least two sleeping compartments, and a large family area plus a decent awning section for cooking. We 've narrowed the choice down to Wynnster Brittany 9 or a Brookfield Ashover (?). The Wynnstar is ahead as we liked the sewn in compartments in the sleeping areas. Now, the list of minimum requirements is gathering all the time - collapsible chairs, camp beds for the boys, a double airbed for us (a Dunton double sleeping bag looks like fun), a folding table with chairs built in, a picnic basket... the list goes on. *-) A larger vehicle is needed, and we will do a couple of practice weekends before heading out for a longer period of time. So - any thoughts on build quality of the Wynnster and the Brittney 9? All response much appreciated! If you've an alternate solution I'd love to hear it. We've been to Yeomans in Northampton and had a good crawl around the tents so far. Cheers. :-D

Hi I can't find details of the Brookfield Ashover tent, the nearest I can come is the Peakland Ashover - is it the same? Looking at this and the other tent, the Ashover has the advantage of a large communal area in the centre, plus the front area as well, with 3 sleeping compartments, this means you can have one for you, one for the kids, and one for the porta pottie, clothes etc. Although the Wynn has 4 sleeping compartments it doesn't seem to have the same amount of communal space in the centre and the only way to have a 'porch' area is to put up the flap as a sun shade but then you can't store anything in it, whereas with the Ashover you can - but as I'm only going off drawings on the web in reality this might not be the case! Hope this helps - where were you planning on buying a tent from? Does it have to be new? You should be able to pick up some second hand bargains from private ads, ebay etc. :-S

we bought a coleman columbia this year brill tent 3 double sleeping compartments and a large living area stacks of room for you & the kids!. big porch area aswell the tent has a sky light and large zip up windows with a fine mesh to keep the nasties out! plenty of headroom in the living area im 6ft but still reach up to un zip the sky light! there is a rear door as well which we found handy during hot days to get some air through the tent. price wise we paid a bargain £135! at a www.awnings.co.uk we actually visited the showsite as it was only an hour away they get new stuff all the time so offers can change. dunno where you live barry but this place has everything you can think of for camping & caravans like an asda for campers!

Archived