backwoods camping in the uk

ray.mears.jnr

hello folks, some friends and i want to go camping in the next month or two but i'm having trouble trying to find a suitable area. the thing is im not really into the whole campsite lark, i prefer to be able to stroll into the sticks, find a nice clearing and set up camp. we are all young (early twenties) but very level headed and considerate and we know about forest courtesy and not to leave traces of our presence afterwards :D . had a look at the new forest but it seems to be quite strict with sticking on site and even worse no fires(?!!!). whats the point of camping if you cant have a campfire i ask you?! anyone know of anywhere we can go to get back to nature in the most basic sense? oh yeah, we're based in south london. thanks in advance. martyn :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest starspirit
Backpackers used to be allowed to camp wild on Dartmoor but I don't know if they still are. You could ask the Dartmoor National Park Authority - they probably have a website?

• 4 months later...
I also suggest Dartmoor - our last wilderness. Park at Meldon reservoir, near Okehampton and follow the West Okement River upstream. You will be in wild country in less than 10 minutes. You are allowed to camp anywhere on Dartmoor provided you are 15 yards from a public highway, but if you walk away from any road for more than 10 minutes there won't be any bugger to tell you off anyway!! Have fun and take your crap home with you... :D

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE]lofty - 2006-12-15 8:31 AM It is illegal to wild camp anywhere in the England ( Except dartmoor ) under 2000 feet.So to wild camp you have to go to the lake district. You can camp anywhere in scotland on common ground legally,using your common sense.[/QUOTE] a couple of years ago somebody was wild camping near the old mines at the base of carrock fell they cut the footbridge over the beck down and used it for log fires! nobody ever found out who it was but how ignorant & stupid can people get

• 3 months later...
hi! yes, sorry, i haven't been keeping a check over the winter but back now! thank you all for your help, i really appreciate it. i looked into blackberry wood and will look into dartmoor. i have just passed my driving test (1st time after 13 lessons :D :D ) so i have no excuse to get out there now. thanks again all! :-D

Archived