campingaz cp250 cartridges

smiffy

Hi New to Forum and new to tent camping, have had a couple of dry runs (short weekends) and enjoyed it. The question I have is we hope to go for longer stays and want to use a single gas hob, which is the cartridge type. My question is having read the safety rules on the can a question I need to have answered is storing the cartridge while out of hob on site.

They say do not store in a car in hot sunlight, with this in mind if you keep the cartridge in your tent and go out walking for the day and its a very hot day. Will the temperature in the tent exceed the 50c and thus be a risk for the cartridge.

What do those who have a campingaz portable hob do themselves.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

It’s over 40 years since I’ve tent-camped, but unless you plan to do this in extremely hot countries you need not be concerned about the maximum 50° Centigrade safety warning. At that temperature meat starts to cook and even if a tent were fully closed down and the sun were shining on it, it’s very unlikely to reach 50°C inside. It’s inadvisable to expose any sealed gas canister to direct sunlight or really high levels of heat, but if you put the cartridge on the ground on the cool side of the tent’s interior when you go walking, there should be no danger.

(Well done for reading the instructions on the cartridge.)

Archived