dogs

Guest luke

I have been camping for a few years now, but have recently aquired a little doggie. Can any of you lovely people out there give me any tips on camping with my new friend??? e.g. sleeping arrangements etc.

Hi Luke, we have to dogs, one is an angel and the second a little terror. Anyway are dogs have the run of the tent with us during the day, but when we go to bed they are put in a large cage for the night. Is your dog a young puppy, because if so it is always helps to crate train them and will also make them feel at ease when you are camping. Our little terror has a habit at barking at every passing person on there trip to the loo, since we introduced there cate he considers it a position of safety and is far more settled. Hope this helps Paul

Cheers Paul. My dog is nearly a year old now and we crate trained him when he was a wee pup, so hopefully this will help us. Luke.

Guest Lorraine Lane
Have to say found this very interesting as just purchased 4 puppies (jack russells) and camping gear - so will try your ideas out. Good luck to you all.

Guest Iain Hargreaves
During the day we keep our dog (small black terrier type)on a dog tether which looks like a giant corkscrew that you put into the ground, together with her water, bed and blanket. During the evening (sleep time)she sleeps in her own bed,no cage required due to having a tent with a fully fitted groundsheet (no chance of escape). Try Vango diablo 600, for example, great tent, loads of room and dog friendly!

Guest Paul
Hi, We also use a long line during the day for our dog fixed to the ground by a giant corkscrew. The sleeping arrangements will vary on what view you have on training your dog. With our last dog we allowed her on the bed and would therefore not worry about the training crate. But we now have a 22 month old daughter and when we got our pup we were afraid of him jumping on her in the night, so this is why we crate trained him. It depends on your view, many dog training books will advise you to crate train your dog, we used this method simply because it is convient for us. The inconvience is to have to carry a crate where ever you go. We had our reservation to begin with, but i am re-assured now as our dog will sleep in it during the day when the door is open. So long as the crate is not used as a punishment, your dog will grow to like it. Crate are counterproductive if you stick your dog in there simply for being a nuisance. Anyway only my view, i suppose if we never had a child we would never had introduced the crate. regards Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Garry Mulholland
Dont let him run off and eat campers breakfasts like our terrier did! Garry Mulholland sales@camerasdisposable.co.uk

Archived