electric hook-ups

Guest mel

we are new to camping and wondered if someone could explain why some sites are 10 amp and some are 16. how does this affect us.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Elaine
I think it just means you can have a few more things running at the same time (ie. light, kettle, hairdrier etc). We have never had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
the only plugs i have seen cost nearly £100. is there any reason why you cannot make your own or get them cheaper. the one i am on about is a burden triple plug with the blue 16amp connector on the end. thanks

• 1 year later...
HI I would not recomend making your own hook-up, for about £60 you can buy a hook best to be safe up with 3 plug sockets and trip.. try www.towsure.com camping mains kit 3way 13amp 10 amp twin pole circuit breaker and 20mtr cable. our friends had made there own- overloaded it and tripped all the campers around him he was not popular lol >:-)

• 4 weeks later...

[QUOTE]mel - 2005-05-12 4:32 PM we are new to camping and wondered if someone could explain why some sites are 10 amp and some are 16. how does this affect us.[/QUOTE]

Simple calculation to determine how many amps you are using is to divide the watts by the voltage.

For example, if you are using an electric kettle rated at 1000 watts, divide by 240 volts (standard in the UK), therefore you are using just over 4 amps.

Add up all the electrical items you are using at any one time and then keep below the number of amps available, otherwise you will trip the fuse.

bazza , you forgot to mention some sites charge more for the bigger wattage .. if you ned it then pay if not just don't use everything at once anyway the worst than can happen is it will trip . Never mind you can always get th warden or go to the box youself depending on the set up .. good luck.

Archived