stove design project

Guest Dan

Hello all, i'm a student studing product design at newcastle and am currently undertaking a design project focused on looking for gaps in the camping stove markets and trying to come up with some new solutions to the age old problems associated with cooking when camping! does any one have any ideas or know of problomatic areas could provide room for improvment?

I know what I need, and a friend is trying to make me one. Maybe you are interested... I have two gas rings in a tiny campervan. No oven, no grill - that's it. I want an oven for heating basic food. My solution would be a box frame that sits over a gas ring suspending a pasty, sausage roll a few inches up from the heat. How to heat it without burning? Coleman used to make and are still available in America (about £100 delivered to U.K.) a box oven that folds flat when not in use and sits on the gas ring edge when in use. I have a 12 volt heater/oven, it's tiny and uses too much power when the engine is turned off. I like wild camping so don't want to rely on electricity. There are rumours that about 30 years ago you could buy very small gas ovens, even if I found one it would have to be installed and I don't have room for it. My husband is going to try and make me something out of a biscuit tin on a frame. I would be interested in your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
The biggest problem I have is taking cooking fuel when flying overseas - Not all countries produce the same gas cylinders or let you buy less than 2 litres of petrol, so either an adapter for foreign gas bottles or a stove that uses a non-flammable solid, liquid or gas fuel that can be carried on a flight or is easily obtainable and doesn't involve building a campfire.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived