Dog friendly pubs

Lizzy

Is there a book yet? Some of the pubs in Northants are dog friendly, some even allow the dog in the Bar! Is it possible to compile an area by area list here of really welcoming pubs? This would take a few months but I expect the 'research' would be worth while ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a publication that lists dog friendly establishments but forget where - if the pub wouldn't take my cocker we didn't eat/drink there, voted with our feet! We've spent many hours sitting outside in freezing weather even after being invited inside. Leah would lay down and sleep - or be happy getting more pats :-D The Lake District was great, I could even take her clothes shopping there! If they were going to make a buck they weren't going to turn away potential customers. She would sit just inside the door unless anybody said 'aren't you being good' - that was her cue to nudge for a pat *-) awkward if I were half-undressed trying on clothes :$

(lol) My cocker went everywhere too - she was a registered PAT-dog so used to being in different situations. We took her to Cropredy and other folk festivals, she would sleep for hours despite the music! Her nose would wriggle if food went by and she would open one eye to make sure nothing was dropped ;-) Perhaps a list here me-thinks - great Research potential (?)

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-09-16 6:41 PM Michele Unfortunate choice of words me thinks! Mel B ;-)[/QUOTE]Me thinks so too. But the sad fact is, apart from special cases, the days of pets being allowed into pubs etc. are now numbered. Health and Safety would have a field day on this one. Howard.

Health and Safety only covers food preparation areas in cafes, pubs etc. although many Managers are unaware of the totality of the Law! It is then up to the proprieter whether dogs are allowed in the Bar, Lounge etc. but some will quote Health and Safety until I get my book out to point to the wording of the Law! If they don't take me and my dogs, I don't give them the custom. We went to one pub in Castleton where we were relucatnaly allowed in and put in a very small back room ......... needless to say we only had an orange juice and quickly left - Leah slept under the table and no one was aware of her presence. We had wanted a good lunch too so they lost about £30.00 all told. There are plenty of hotels etc. across the country which are dog friendly [see pets welcome publication] but finding a pub for a quick drink is more difficult. Is this List going to be a research project for anyone? :D

• 4 months later...
Hi Lizzy never had a problem when walking in he dales and lake district, all pubs that I have asked first have let him in. The only problem I ever had was when doing the coast to coast, I stopped at Kirby Stephen and went to the local pub, this farmer came in took one look at my dog (border collie) and asked if I wanted to sell him, I said no but he pestered me all night (in a friendly way) I can just imagine what my would have said if I had come home minus the dog.

Welcome! We are off to the Lakes in mid-May - but don't have our old cocker now :'( [since 2002] Will be looking for dog friendly establishments though. Will be looking for some sunshine if anyone can lay a few rays on ...........

• 4 weeks later...
I look at this question from a different perspective as I'm allergic to both dogs and cats. We had to give our Labrador away when it started. One of our sons and his partner have two dogs and I can't go into their house because it brings on an asthma attack - they even have to make sure they don't bring any dog hairs with them when they visit us. Many people who take their dogs into pubs keep them under control and I don't have a problem with that. There are those, however, who react to their dog jumping up at a stranger with a comment such as "It's OK he won't harm you" - well, in my case, he might well cause an asthma attack so please forgive me if I prefer pubs without dogs. Graham

• 4 months later...
There's a very good website called Doggie Pubs. It's not a comprehensive list but it does help. We hardly ever fail to find a pub that allows dogs and I'm ashamed to say our 2 feel quite at home in them! http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/

Some allergies can be countered by using the allergen in very small amounts by injection - the sufferer then gets 'immune' and can cope with dogs/cats etc. again. Sorry about your Lab.: I had to give 2 cats away due to other reasons than allergy : it Broke my Heart :'( - good point made though! Went to Skelwith Bridge recently and the Talbot allows dogs in, well they would have to really .... ;-)

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2007-07-18 12:37 PM Some allergies can be countered by using the allergen in very small amounts by injection - the sufferer then gets 'immune' and can cope with dogs/cats etc. again.[/QUOTE] Yes. Had some tests years ago but my allergy list was too wide (some pollens etc as well). [QUOTE]Lizzy - 2007-07-18 12:37 PM Sorry about your Lab.: I had to give 2 cats away due to other reasons than allergy : it Broke my Heart :'( - good point made though![/QUOTE] Thanks. Long time ago now so we are over it. Graham

• 2 months later...
Hi, nothing to do with dog friendly pubs really, I want to walk the coast to coast next may, middle aged 1 good dog and I shall be in all probability alone during the walk with Henry picking up the pieces at the end of each day. I really would like all information available by those who have completed it. (lol) Regards Mavis

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
I was amused by the person who said that people allow their dogs to jump up and say 'oh it's all right'! 
I have trained my dog not to jump up but since moving to west wales, so many people want to give my dog treats and they encourage her to jump up then give her the treat; effectively training her to jump up!  When I protest and tell her to get off they say 'oh, it's alright'.

• 2 years later...

Archived