advice on where to walk

gadjo

Hi All

New to all this can any one direct me to good web sites or give any info on books or walking in genral.

We use a motor home and get out walking as much as possible when we park up on site.

I try to pick sites that have walking near by but some times feel at a bit of a loss when there due to inexperience.

Any advice would be welcome dont think it will be too basic need to learn.

Cheers

Hi, We just bought the AA 365 pub walks and cycle rides around the uk, it is an excellent book, got ours on Ebay for 99p with £8 postage and that was reasonable post cost.

It is a huge loose leaf book in binder so you can take pages with you as you walk, gives all the info on the walk including a map, also has history and places of interest including a pub for lunch or drink.

The thing I liked most was the fact that they where nearly all circular routes so no retracing steps too often.

Got other books too, one on canal walks and cycle rides also off Ebay.

Depends what sort of walking you want, don't think many of mine where over 10 miles and not too mountainous. I got them for the cycling.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know

Mandy

thank you very much Mandy

yep easy circular walks sound just the job. I think I'm after just something to keep in the van just in case we go anywhere and are a bit lost as to where the walks are ect the loose leaf book sound good though will do a search on ebay and maybe amazon see what comes up.

Think I'm just a bit nervous of getting hoplessly lost and having to be rescued half way up or down a mountian somewhere!!!!!!

Are there any clubs like the caravan club for walkers????

Hi,

there are people on Ebay where you can collect and not have to pay out for postage which makes them seem much more reasonable, the price on the front cover is £20 so getting it under a tenner I think is a bargain.

We often look for CCC rallies around where the rides are and plan from there. We are near Pershore right now on a firework weekend, sun is shinning after a night of rain.

take care

Mandy

Hi George.

Walking books are very good, tie them in with the local o/s map at 50,000:1 and you've got a very good day out.

I seem to collect ordnance survey maps from all the new areas we visit.

Keep them in Eeyore (Elnagh Magnum 6). When we go any where, get out the relevant o/s map, all area walks are marked on it with green dotted lines.

Plan your route and set off. Magic. Two miles or twenty, makes no difference, so easy.

Good idea to have a proper compass and know how to use it with the map.

Ramblers association will run basic one day courses for compas use.

• 2 months later...

I have just taken a book out of the library, AA 1000 walks in the UK. The detail is fairly good, but the font is small. We have enlarged the page on a photocopier with no problems. Most of them circular.

Marked the walks on memory map straight into a gps unit. ( Sad but I love my toys )

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...

Good book that Tony.

I use a GPS when out on the walks, but only tend to use it for spot references and to record exact distances and speeds. It doesn't have a very good memory map.

All relevant walks are marked up on OS maps with highlighter pen. Same procedure older technology, I like maps.

• 1 month later...

When we plan a trip, I go into our local library and get out guide books and walking books. We're off to Pembrokeshire just before Easter so I've got out what I can, but as they only had a guide book to Wales, meaning that Pembrokeshire has One chapter, I'll be in again tomorrow. I also found a book of circular walks. I'll renew them before we go. It's best to look early and renew.

Our library had a wide range of OS maps, but rarely what I want, and the search on the database is rubbish so I can't even find if they've got them and they're out so I'd better pay my money and buy one.

Smith's also usually have a wide range of local walking books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived