Starting again

tish

Starting again  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hiya all, newbie here. This isn't a sob story, just plain fact to give you the broader picture. Was used to camping in the 60-70's with my hubby + 2 kids in a wonderful canvas frame 3 bedroom tent, all mod cons, kitchen extension , etc , the works. Recently widowed, aged late 60s, getting used to solo life. Been offered a tent - last years model - Gelert Atlantis 4 plus all the trimmings for a bargain price - oh yes- but what I want to know is = Could I pitch it on my own (I'm 4'10" tall, not very fit, have arthritis etc etc), and would I be safe on my own? Also, is there anyone out there similar where we could help each other? Advise from the experienced much appreciated, got to rebuild my confidence somehow!!!! :$ Also, (I know I'm asking a lot) but what's the general consensus on the Gelert tent? Good/Rubbish? Thanks in advance of any replies, Tish :-D

The below video might give you an idea of whether or not you can manage to put it up on your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehB7Nr_EIfQ&feature=related

Be aware though that these types of tents let a lot of light in compared to canvas tents and can be a bit flappy in high winds. However, for your needs it would appear to be an ideal size.

Asit has been quite a while since you last camped, have a think about how you will cope with rain/windy conditions and also the cold on a night time - are you able to 'function' when the weather is cold? This is one of the reasons we gave up tenting about 14 years ago and moved to a motorhome as I cannot take the cold and I'm only 48 now!

:-) Hi Mel, thanks for the reply. Went at Easter w/end as a guest in their tent and was quite toasty at night with all the insulation - plenty under bed, over bed, fleece clothing, carpet on floor, etc etc. If weather got too bad to cope on my own would just come home. I own up to being a fair weather bird :$ . Would dearly love a M/home for same reason as you but finances don't allow just yet unless I sell my house. I see your'e in E/Ys, I'm in N/Ys. Do you have any fav campsites? TTFN Tish ;-)

Hi Tish, sorry can't really help on the campsite front as we rarely use them. Might be an idea to look into joining the Camping and Caravanning Club though as they allow tents on a good number of their sites, and smaller 5 'unit' sites too I think. :-D

Archived