camping pet hates

Administrator

Sorry Camper Pete, but it is your pet that I hate (if your avatar shows your mutt that is) :D

I really cannot understand why people bring their dreadful dogs with them on holiday, and to have the disgusting smelly, disease-ridden, hairy, noisy creatures with them at close quarters in a tent, caravan or motorhome,just seems perverse, particularly on a campsite where children play.

My pet hate is other people's pets -- thank heaven for dog-free sites! There just aren't enough of them! >:-(

Each to his own!

Cheers,

Colin.

Life's too short to hate anyone or anything for long enough to remember the next day and one of the best things about getting older is that after falling asleep in front of the TV you can't remember what it was that brassed you off y earlier the same day let alone yesterday!

• 1 month later...

Mega families with boats, trailers,canoes,gazebos,etc etc etc who having filled every last inch of their allocated pitch space park their mega 4 x 4 six inches from the door of my tent,

I don't mind all the stuff, I don't mind all the people, but put the truck somewhere else please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1footinthegrave
There will be some who will not be surprised to hear mine. It's the dog owner who thinks the world wants to listen to his pooch having a chat, funny thing is they would tell you they come here because they love the peace and quiet, I don't get it, and never will. Before I get nailed to the cross I have no issue with quiet dogs.

Yapping dogs and owners who think that everyone likes dogs, newsflash - some of us don't.

Folk passing my pitch who think I want to answer their questions about bike racks/sat navs/awnings

Blokes playing radios in showers/shaving areas, ever heard of ear phones?

Folk letting heaters run in awnings even whilst they're out

Those who think it's acceptable to walk across site in their night attire, would they do it at home?

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

The worse has to be when a family with a load of kids pitch right next to us.

Out come the balls, bikes, then their darling little tyke comes over and ask loads of stupid questions like "what are you doing".

Sue (tongue in cheek)

Guest 1footinthegrave
LordThornber - 2011-10-24 9:08 AM

Yapping dogs and owners who think that everyone likes dogs, newsflash - some of us don't.

Folk passing my pitch who think I want to answer their questions about bike racks/sat navs/awnings

Blokes playing radios in showers/shaving areas, ever heard of ear phones?

Folk letting heaters run in awnings even whilst they're out

Those who think it's acceptable to walk across site in their night attire, would they do it at home?

Martyn

I don't really think your cut out for this camping motor-home malarky, you even find it objectionable for folk to take a flask of coffee on the ferry. Perhaps an exec jet and a detached villa in 5 acres of grounds would be more the thing, don't get me wrong,that describes me as well,trouble is I can't afford it. But I do go to extra lengths to avoid as far as possible the rest of the human race which involves a lot of "wild" camping, and especially the what seems to be in vogue, multiple dog owners, why isn't one enough ?.

I should have added, Folk who in an empty field come and pitch right by the side of you ! !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
LordThornber - 2011-10-24 9:08 AM

Martyn

No problem with this as long as they are late risers and I've already had my breakfast. Nothing worse than seeing someone shufflin' off to the showers, crocs on feet, fag in gob and all the wobbly bits shaking under their dressing gown like ferrets in a sack 8-) Almost makes me throw my porridge back up :$

knight of the road - 2011-11-12 10:49 AM

i think I would be disappointed if no fellow camper came across to pass the time of day, Asking questions such as where are you from, what do you think of sat-navs etc etc , the name of the game is interaction with ones fellows, no man is an island.

I wouldn't be disappointed but if anyone asked me about a particular thing that I could be of help with I'd only be too pleased to be of assistance :-)

I think I must be an easygoing laid back kinda guy, I have no probs with people walking to the shower room in their PJ.s or dressing gowns, no probs with people walking over my pitch, no probs with other campers cats, dogs, parrots or kids, anyone walking past my van or awning always let on and perhaps have a natter to pass the time of day.

These people who have a Greta Garbo complex (I vant to be alone) and dont invade my space are screwballs, the Camping and Caravan Club describe themselves as "the friendly club" so why not be friendly?

• 1 month later...
Lord Braykewynde - 2011-12-02 12:52 PM

No problem with this as long as they are late risers and I've already had my breakfast. Nothing worse than seeing someone shufflin' off to the showers, crocs on feet, fag in gob and all the wobbly bits shaking under their dressing gown like ferrets in a sack 8-) Almost makes me throw my porridge back up :$

Sorry I didn't realise you'd seen me, I was trying to be discreet in my flesh coloured nightie :D :D :D

knight of the road - 2011-11-12 10:49 AM

i think I would be disappointed if no fellow camper came across to pass the time of day, Asking questions such as where are you from, what do you think of sat-navs etc etc , the name of the game is interaction with ones fellows, no man is an island.

Too true KotR......a chat with a stranger/fellow motorhomer/caravanner/camper etc makes the world seem a friendlier place to be.

On the other hand 'screaming' sprogs as opposed to little darlings having fun and laughing is an annoyance that set's my teeth on edge.....as does yapping dogs. Why can't parents/owners control their offspring/animals and let others enjoy the peace and quiet?

Dogs not on a lead.......I don't want your four legged friend sniffing around me or my space!

Folks who 'invade my space' get my goat as well......if I want someone living 'on top of me' I would move into a flat.... (lol)

Those who can not respect fellow site occupants and keep the noise going late into the night.....sometimes accompanied by foul language and then get 'nasty' when you ask them to 'keep the noise down'.

Though what makes me laugh is, once we are set up (30 minutes at most) and relaxing with a G&T watching folks arriving and:

Out comes the rotary drier......watching one of those being set up is one of the funniest things.

Watching him setting up the TV aerial or satelite dish in the rain.......why bother?

Setting up a meccano set awning.....all those tubes and joints....where does this go? ...no you've got the wrong bit!......oh leave it and go make the tea..........hehe

Awning set up then out comes the awning carpet, table, table cloth, flower vase etc...........

Dog bowls for food and water.......one of each for each dog.

and all this was actually observed being done by a couple with two dogs staying on the site for just one night!!!

Still each to their own and it gave me a chuckle.

• 1 month later...

Yes it must be the dogs owners that I find objectionable. They think everybody loves their pooch. Also the "hooray Henry's " that think everybody wants to hear their drunken noise.

I know I'm ancient and a "Grumpy Old Man" but my grand children quite like me. ( 'Till they grow-up ) *-) Griff

• 1 year later...
Definitely campers with televisions. Find that even more annoying than people who are loud, although that sucks, too. For me, camping is about leaving the whole electronic stuff that we are dealing with on a daily basis behind and experiencing quietness and nature, not gathering around the telly at the evening.

Archived