Fiat Ducato rear heat insulating material
userhtrevor
Posted: 3 February 2019 11:59 AM
Subject: Fiat Ducato rear heat insulating material

Liking what I've found

Hi
Any suggestions please for a more permanent heat/draught excluder for the rear of my Fiat Ducato, top half only above the bed. I am ok with the bottom half (the garage) being cold as I store some food there but as soon as I open the rear doors in the cold weather I lose heat from the interior. Ideally I would like a white/bright fabric that looks ok ,has got good insulating properties that I can cut to size and apply with velcro (sewn on) all round or d/s and I can roll up when changing the bedding. I have seen a material on a few utube videos (can’t remember where) featuring Autotrailers and the VW California has a pull up material at the rear, but that maybe for use as a bug screen.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 3 February 2019 2:33 PM
Subject: RE: Fiat Ducato rear heat insulating material

The issue was discussed here in 2013

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Rear-Door-Draft-Excluder-for-Panel-Van-Conversion/33272/

and that thread contains a photo of a Possl PVC with an insulating ’screen’ behind its rear doors.

(Trevor’s motorhome is 2017 Westfalia Amundsen 600D.)
userDriventemple
Posted: 3 February 2019 3:37 PM

Just joined

Our Amundsen 600D came complete with a rear screen - a silver insulated sheet that hangs from hooks across the top. Covers the complete rear door area - top to bottom.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 3 February 2019 6:17 PM

I notice that you have a website for your Westfalia

http://driventemple.org.uk
userhtrevor
Posted: 3 February 2019 8:11 PM

Liking what I've found

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-03 2:33 PM

The issue was discussed here in 2013

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Rear-Door-Draft-Excluder-for-Panel-Van-Conversion/33272/

and that thread contains a photo of a Possl PVC with an insulating ’screen’ behind its rear doors.

(Trevor’s motorhome is 2017 Westfalia Amundsen 600D.)

Hi Derek

Thanks for adding the full details of my van, I will do that in future.

Initially last August on my new Westfalia i paid for a polar pack which included a floor to ceiling curtain (as mentioned by a contributor in the following post) but I had let my flat for a couple of years and I had a million items that I already didn’t know what to do with in the van and it was August so I threw the curtain away as it would have taken up valuable space. The curtain was floor to ceiling and had studs in the top for hanging. I made a casual inquiry to the dealer about a replacement when it started to get cold but it was far too much as everything Westfalia seems to be. Also it was just a hanging foil curtain that would let lots of droughts in around the edges and I only want to cover the top half with maybe Velcro attachment (sewn on) so that there is no heat loss around the edges when I open the rear doors which I do 30 times a day. I am not worried about the bottom half being cold I just want easy access to my storage boxes in the garage. So that is why I thought the best temporary option might be some kind of thickish fabric that I could cut to a rectangular shape by a shop somewhere and have strips of Velcro sewn on. I would be grateful though for any other suggestions and materials that might work. It would also be nice although not essential if it let some light through. I did look at various foil insulation cut from a roll but I think I would have problems sticking that on temporarily and it would also not look very nice.

userhtrevor
Posted: 3 February 2019 8:13 PM

Liking what I've found

Driventemple - 2019-02-03 3:37 PM

Our Amundsen 600D came complete with a rear screen - a silver insulated sheet that hangs from hooks across the top. Covers the complete rear door area - top to bottom.

Hi

Please see my last response to Derek. Out of interest though how did you find the screen?

Many thanks
userhtrevor
Posted: 3 February 2019 8:16 PM

Liking what I've found

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-03 6:17 PM

I notice that you have a website for your Westfalia

http://driventemple.org.uk

Thanks Derek
userDriventemple
Posted: 3 February 2019 10:59 PM

Just joined

htrevor - 2019-02-03 8:13 PM

Hi

Please see my last response to Derek. Out of interest though how did you find the screen?

Many thanks

I haven't used it. Bit of a wimp when it comes to winter in the UK!
I do admire you Fulltiming.
userhtrevor
Posted: 3 February 2019 11:16 PM

Liking what I've found

Driventemple - 2019-02-03 10:59 PM

Hi

Many thanks

Thanks

Intended to be in Spain over winter but lots of probs so here I still am.

Regards
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 4 February 2019 8:32 AM

Driventemple - 2019-02-03 10:59 PM

Hi

Many thanks

You may well have looked at htrevor’s earlier forum enquiries, but, if not, I’ve provided links to them below

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-Combi-D6-heater-fuel-pump-noise/50850/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Thetford-cassette-toilet-jamming/51055/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Noisy-Fiat-Ducato-Rear-doors/51116/

I think the toilet-cassette ‘jamming’ issue has been resolved, but it would be interesting to know what your opinion is regarding htrevor’s complaint about the noise made by the pump providing diesel-fuel to the Truma Combi D6 heater (which I assume your Amundsen 600D also has).
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 4 February 2019 9:03 AM

htrevor

There is a good deal of on-line information about DIYing leisure-vehicle thermal screens

https://tinyurl.com/y99mfdys

I do wonder though whether your wish-list - inexpensive, effective, good-looking and (possibly) lets some light through - is realistic.

A ‘thermal’ curtain was made to separate the cab area of my previous Hobby motorhome from its habitation area. My wife obtained the curtain fabric and added a thermal lining, and I sewed hooks (plastic-covered wire) to the curtain’s top edge so that it could be hung around the cab’s perimeter. It did not cost much in terms of the materials' price, but it did take some time to make. It also needs to be said that the end result was not exactly ‘pretty’, but it did the job.

Thee are companies advertising made-to-measure thermal curtains

https://tinyurl.com/y9stqu25

but these are not really intended for leisure-vehicles.
userhtrevor
Posted: 6 February 2019 11:49 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Derek

Thanks for your help and reposting my previous posts.

1. I still have a problem with the Truma Diesel heating pump noise. In campsites when the I switch the controls to mix 2, which is a combination of electric and diesel, it’s perfect. It runs silently on the electric and occasionally helped out when it gets really cold by switching to diesel to boost the heat, and no problems at all with the noise. When I am off grid and it switches to 100% diesel, that’s when I have a problem. The ticking noise in the van from the pump although not loud starts to irritate me pretty soon. It’s the fact that it is a constant noise, if it was for a short period I could live with that. At the moment I am desperate to get away to Europe so I hope I can live with it for period and on my return try to locate a Service guy with knowledge of Truma/Eberspacher pumps as suggested by a contributor and hope it can be sorted. One thing though if I buy another van it will not be one with diesel heating.

2. The toilet problem is sorted thanks to the forums and explained on the thread and at the the moment after a few weeks it’s still working fine. Many thanks.

3. Still trying to sort out the noise from the van doors. Booked in to Fiat this Tuesday for the doors to be realigned as suggested by a contributor, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Kind regards
Trevor

Edited by htrevor 2019-02-06 11:50 PM
userrobdav
Posted: 8 February 2019 5:23 PM

Pops in from time to time

Check out the English catalogue from these guys.

https://www.hindermann.de/en_mobiles-reisen.html

These guys are their UK re-seller.

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 9 February 2019 8:33 AM

htrevor - 2019-02-06 11:49 PM

...1. I still have a problem with the Truma Diesel heating pump noise. In campsites when the I switch the controls to mix 2, which is a combination of electric and diesel, it’s perfect. It runs silently on the electric and occasionally helped out when it gets really cold by switching to diesel to boost the heat, and no problems at all with the noise. When I am off grid and it switches to 100% diesel, that’s when I have a problem. The ticking noise in the van from the pump although not loud starts to irritate me pretty soon. It’s the fact that it is a constant noise, if it was for a short period I could live with that. At the moment I am desperate to get away to Europe so I hope I can live with it for period and on my return try to locate a Service guy with knowledge of Truma/Eberspacher pumps as suggested by a contributor and hope it can be sorted. One thing though if I buy another van it will not be one with diesel heating...

You might want to talk directly to Trevor Mace (Driventemple) about the fuel-pump ‘ticking’, or - if practicable - hear the noise made by the pump on his Amundsen 600D.

There’s no real reason to think that Westfalia will have botched the installation of your diesel-fuelled Truma heater so that the fuel-pump is making an abnormal amount of noise, so it’s doubtful that a technician with experience of this type of system would be able to provide a simple cheap fix. The technician might be able to say if the fuel-pump itself is unusually noisy and a replacement pump might then help, but it’s generally accepted that ’ticking’ is just something that these pumps do. It might be possible to move the pump to a position where the noise is less intrusive, or to fabricate a sound-deadening enclosure for the pump, but the latter approach is more of a DIY exercise than something a ‘professional’ would want to do.

As you say that the ticking noise is not very loud, you may be better learning to live with it than have the system played aboiut with. When the ticking noise is audible, at least you know that the pump is running - it’s when the Truma heater has been switched to diesel operation and the ticking stops that you’d need to worry.
userhtrevor
Posted: 11 February 2019 2:08 PM

Liking what I've found

robdav - 2019-02-08 5:23 PM

Check out the English catalogue from these guys.

https://www.hindermann.de/en_mobiles-reisen.html

These guys are their UK re-seller.

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/

Thanks Rob

Trevor
userhtrevor
Posted: 11 February 2019 2:45 PM

Liking what I've found

Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-09 8:33 AM

htrevor - 2019-02-06 11:49 PM

...1. I still have a problem with the Truma Diesel heating pump noise. In campsites when the I switch the controls to mix 2, which is a combination of electric and diesel, it’s perfect. It runs silently on the electric and occasionally helped out when it gets really cold by switching to diesel to boost the heat, and no problems at all with the noise. When I am off grid and it switches to 100% diesel, that’s when I have a problem. The ticking noise in the van from the pump although not loud starts to irritate me pretty soon. It’s the fact that it is a constant noise, if it was for a short period I could live with that. At the moment I am desperate to get away to Europe so I hope I can live with it for period and on my return try to locate a Service guy with knowledge of Truma/Eberspacher pumps as suggested by a contributor and hope it can be sorted. One thing though if I buy another van it will not be one with diesel heating...

You might want to talk directly to Trevor Mace (Driventemple) about the fuel-pump ‘ticking’, or - if practicable - hear the noise made by the pump on his Amundsen 600D.

There’s no real reason to think that Westfalia will have botched the installation of your diesel-fuelled Truma heater so that the fuel-pump is making an abnormal amount of noise, so it’s doubtful that a technician with experience of this type of system would be able to provide a simple cheap fix. The technician might be able to say if the fuel-pump itself is unusually noisy and a replacement pump might then help, but it’s generally accepted that ’ticking’ is just something that these pumps do. It might be possible to move the pump to a position where the noise is less intrusive, or to fabricate a sound-deadening enclosure for the pump, but the latter approach is more of a DIY exercise than something a ‘professional’ would want to do.

As you say that the ticking noise is not very loud, you may be better learning to live with it than have the system played aboiut with. When the ticking noise is audible, at least you know that the pump is running - it’s when the Truma heater has been switched to diesel operation and the ticking stops that you’d need to worry.

Thanks Derek

You are probably right but if I was told when paying £65,000 for a campervan that I might have to get used to the annoying noise that the diesel heating pump makes and you would might have to turn the heating off at night because of that, would I have bought the van, no. I bought the van in August 2018 and have been trying to travel abroad ever since, clocking up 7500 miles since and going nowhere. I have learnt a lot from my experiences and now realise that I was totally naive in thinking that in purchasing a new van I would be able to head into the sunset without a care in the world, like I would if I had bought a new car. I understand that there is more involved in adding a conversion to a van but from my experiences and of listening to others horror stories I really do not understand how these companies get away with it. I understand that not many people sell up and go on the road full time so if something goes wrong on their weekend or fortnight away they have plenty of time to return it to the dealer and have it put right or maybe they can fix things that come up themselves and that’s another thing where I was a little naive, not having that ability, I was even told by my dealer after a water pipe had burst and flooded the floor for the second time and they had cut another section from the pipe and replaced it without asking Westfalia why this was happening that most of their customers can fix their own vehicles. I really could go and on about my experiences but maybe I will save it for the book I will write one day when I’ve given up and gone home. Sorry everyone and Derek but I do feel a little better now, for the time being.

Regards
Trevor