Bulletguy

Members
  • Days Won

Bulletguy last won the day on November 27 2022

Bulletguy had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Bulletguy's Achievements

Grand Master

Grand Master (14/14)

• Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1. Bulletguy

BBC

The inscription on the wall at Broadcasting House is a quote from George Orwell whose statue stands there. Orwell was a BBC employee.
  2. Big difference John. 99.9% of Sprinter vans are used commercially and get well hammered. That pvc camper is a T28 and in mint condition. I forgot to add it also came with drive-away awning. Only thing which would put me off is its a SWB model.
  3. You certainly get around Max! I'd not heard of it before and can see why its popular, the views are stunning, and I love the little lighthouse. The rough rocky remote background in your photo and signpost bore a similarity to parts of the Outer Hebrides, hence the reason for my initial guess.
  4. This 2008 VW pvc with 158k on the clock (254,000kms) sold at Mathewsons on Sunday for a staggering £16k! German engineering so the engine will easily see double that.
  5. Nice van Max and at a guess that looks like you were either touring the Highlands or one of the many islands off the north west coast?
  6. There's no escape though Gary. People travel not just for tourism but business. One of my nephews who as you know lives in Oz regularly travels as part of his job to Singapore and South Africa. Not sure if the company he's with has made alternate plans since this virus outbreak but i see Australia has had 15 confirmed cases though eight have since recovered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Australia
  7. The first sentence is certainly correct. The second and third just conjecture to no clear point other than to either crank up Brexiteers who don't believe it's going to happen, or believe it will be unjust if it does, and/or imply the Spanish police are corrupt, and incapable of following any due process. This is just conjecture, given the absence of any data to support the assertions. And again - any evidence to support these assertions as to what the Spanish police will do? I think it would help if we tried to stick to the point, which is; What are the practical implications of traveling in Europe from now onwards? And rely on the facts as far as people can discover them. In this respect I am very grateful for the expertise and research that appears so regularly on this list, especially when compared to some other forums and lists. Some countries (not sure about Spain) require registration at hotels and campsites even for EU members, and will definitely require this for third country visitors (albeit they may only photocopy documents). It is usual for the police to check who is where, and for how long, in these countries, so overstaying is readily identifiable. Remember that not all EU states are unified and some have federal structures under which the local regional legislatures can set their own rules - so it is not guaranteed that the same penalties will be applied from place to place if identified as overstaying while "in country". However, since the Schengen area rules apply to the majority of EU states (of which Spain is one), and in any case motorhomers will have to enter the EU/EEA states through either the tunnel or by ferry, at which points, once out of transition, their passports will be date stamped (or recorded on ETIAS when up and running), the duration of their stays will be apparent to the border police when they present their passports on leaving - which is when, and where, the fun will start for the naughty ones! Established campsites in Poland and Germany require registration. Some Polish sites will also ask to hold your passport though i always refused explaining i am personally responsible for it so they could either take photocopy or hold my Camping Carnet. Smaller sites never bothered and were quite relaxed. The police were also very easy to deal with....courteous, polite and professional. Ironically the most draconian was Hungary where you're expected to fill in a form detailing date and time of entry and purpose of visit....quite odd given they were the first country to open the border to east Germans. Their police and border control are not exactly pleasant to deal with either and i began avoiding Hungary other than transiting through from Romania to Poland.
  8. And again - any evidence to support these assertions as to what the Spanish police will do? Sorry! I've been watching too many episodes of 'Border Control' and the like. Seems like any overstay and it's first flight home, but only time will tell as regards Spain, etc when we have finally left. Keith. I don't think your 'assertions' as slowdriver put it, are that far out actually Keith apart from sticking folk on the 'first flight out'.....UK does that with folk it doesn't want any longer but that's another issue. Third country Brit overstayers will be hit with a hefty fine but more importantly, their passport will get a marker which for any future travel is going to prove 'uncomfortable' as that tells any border control (including ours) you've previously run foul of a countries authorities. Immediate deportation is dependent on an individuals case and the country they were caught but intentional or not, there are no exceptions. The rule is now set and anyone tempted to flout it does so at their own risk. Even if lucky to escape without a fine or ban there will be consequences if attempting to re-enter a Schengen country, say the following year or whatever, so any culprits shouldn't be surprised if they get no further than French border control the next time they fancy fun in the sun and get turned back to spend their time sitting on Skegness beach with the donkeys.
  9. Tourists can already stay in the UK for 6 months. Where have you read it’s up for negotiation? And where have you read the EU will match it? I haven’t seen that anywhere. Because we never became part of Schengen. More explained here; https://1st4immigration-visas.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-long-can-visitor-stay-in-uk-6.html it's also worth noting this bit dispelling the myth that EU/non-EU citizens come to UK for free health care and benefits. They have to prove residency for that. Visitor rules include: purpose of visits, no right to work, no right to use the NHS, no right to use the public funds (benefits), no right to switch to more serious visas inside the UK, ie no right to switch to a Spouse or work visa.
  10. I think you should check again. New ones being issued at the moment have red covers but are NOT EU passports. The words " European Union " have been removed from the front cover, and first page. :-| I know, but UK ones will be blue.....so I’ll have a red one until 2030. As long as it’s valid I’m happy. ;-) Mine is a European Union one.....unfortunately only with two years left on it though. :-( The entire fuss and palaver over colour was yet another piece of disinformation peddled by the Leave campaign claiming the colour was "forced" on UK by EU. It wasn't and UK could have had whatever colour they wanted, even keeping the original dark blue, just as Croatia kept their black passport. It was another lie fed to those daft enough to believe it....which they did.
  11. Almost a certainty. Two years back i was pulled four times by police at roadside checks in Romania and twice in Germany. They will be searching out any overstayers from next year.
  12. There is no wish amongst a sizeable proportion of the UK population (not, to be sure, a majority) to restrict free movement of Europeans into the UK, but the new laws now being introduced after the Referendum result and the most recent General Election in the UK will do just that. There is not much point in me complaining about that. Regret it, yes, but the reality is that free movement of citizens of the European Union to the UK is coming to an end. Likewise free movement of citizens of the UK to the European Union is changing (90 days out of a 180 day window etc). I may not like it, just as you claim the Spanish campsite owner's don't like it. It is inconvenient for me, it's inconvenient for them, and it's going to inconvenient for those MotorHomers who have been used to staying anywhere in the European Union for more than 90 days. The majority of whom are no doubt in Spain right now. But it is, as they say, what it is. I continue to be amazed at the number who still appear oblivious to this.....either that or they do really know, but think by burying their heads it will just go away and not affect them. The other week i'm listening to a guy on a newsclip from Liverpool who decided to move his family out to Spain "because Spain isn't like the EU and my family will have better opportunities than the UK....". He voted Leave in the referendum. :-| Another Brit already living in Spain who terms the Spanish as "proper Europeans when British are British wherever we go....". Naturally he didn't speak Spanish. These are the same people that complain about foreigners who come to UK but don't speak the language and don't integrate. As well as that of the UK (in respect to the bolded) when Brit overstayers attempt to return back into UK. The immigrant word is anathema to Brits resident abroad to the extent they refer to themselves as 'ex-pats'....they're immigrants.
  13. From the sunny bits of Spain we are currently over-wintering in I can see no wish by Spanish campsite owners, restauranteurs, shopkeepers and ordinary Spanish citizens to end free movement of, specifically, UK citizens. Being able to retain EU citizenship or creating long term “ holiday” visas for those of retirement age who clearly have no wish to take jobs in Europe is a win- win situation for all parties, including the UK NHS and social setvices. The snag is that any attempt via national newspapers, letters to MPs etc to raise the issue inevitably involves admitting that your UK house is empty for long periods and so is less safe. This is something that many are unwilling to do. We do have the 2 main clubs, both of whom sell long term stays in Spain to UK members, and it is they who should lobby on our behalf. Cutting to the chase, to borrow a phrase, what exactly is wrong with a UK tax payer travelling in Europe for extended periods ? Except for periods of war or plague we have been able to travel freely for centuries. Fifo, i don't know where you took that quote from but it certainly wasn't from any of my posts. :-S Ending fom was part of the Leave campaign which people voted for apparently believing it would be a 'one way street'. Some have now realised this will not be the case which has resulted in them frantically searching for any loophole they can find no matter how flimsy and 'suspect' to attempt to circumvent the ruling and in some cases, simply going down the legit route and moving altogether to take up residence within an EU country.....the very thing they voted against. I'll leave you to make your own judgement on that but to me it speaks volumes! With regards to the question in your final para, BruceM has answered that one for you.
  14. Everything will require clarification. However, I believe that the time spent driving to, in this case, Spain will not count towards the 90 days spent in the EU (Schengen included) However, some form of "immigration" procedure will need to be available to show that you are now entering your visa resident country, and indeed when you leave, be it to return to the UK, or to use some or all of your 90 days in the rest of the EU before returning. Personally, I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to police, and if a self policed system, allowing the traveller to record their own entry and exit dates would be allowed, then that would be wide open to abuse. Really confusing, it is!! 8-) Except its not confusing. The Schengen system has been in use for 25 years its just we never needed to worry about it as we had free movement as EU citizens. These rules have applied for other third countries since it came into force in the 90s. The new Schengen database systems came online last year I believe and its very easy to police. Whether you arrive by plane, boat or on foot your registered as entering the zone as soon as you arrive and of course de-registered when you leave. Travelling time to get to Spain will not be added on as a "bit extra". I dare say if you hung around in Spain all winter nobody would know unless you were unlucky enough to maybe have an accident or get pulled over by plod but the way you would get caught out is when you present yourself at a Schengen border when you come to leave. If your over your 90 days then they will know straight away. People have been getting heavy fines for this for many years and you can be refused entry in the future. There is a campaign to retain EU citizenship for those that want it (Presumably just those who voted remain I would hope) but it has no chance. This is what the majority of people want though isnt it? To end freedom of movement. Perhaps they thought it wouldnt apply to "Their" Free movement. You don't seem to have read the posts, this was not about a person traveling around spain in a motorhome, it was about someone with legal authority to be in spain longer than 90 days (i.e. a visa for property) but having no way of 'switching off' Schengen time when crossing from france to spain or visa versa. They wont have legal authority to stay in Spain though post transition without some kind of residency permit or citizenship I believe or possibly a Padron if they have property. Without some kind of residency the Schengen rules will apply. Lets stop dancing around with 'niceties' Barry and cut to the chase. When you have genuine Brit immigrants living the year round in permanently sited trailers, vans and park homes at registered sites concerned for their future status in their country of choice where some have lived for many years, tourists spending winter months in mh's/campervans they travel back to UK in every six months, using a campsite address to claim "residency" isn't going to cut it with authorities on either side of the fence. They are an overstayer, end of. If not caught in the country they've been overstaying, then they will when they attempt to re-enter their genuine country of residence. They should have thought about this four years ago.
  15. Everything will require clarification. However, I believe that the time spent driving to, in this case, Spain will not count towards the 90 days spent in the EU (Schengen included) However, some form of "immigration" procedure will need to be available to show that you are now entering your visa resident country, and indeed when you leave, be it to return to the UK, or to use some or all of your 90 days in the rest of the EU before returning. Personally, I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to police, and if a self policed system, allowing the traveller to record their own entry and exit dates would be allowed, then that would be wide open to abuse. Really confusing, it is!! 8-) Except its not confusing. The Schengen system has been in use for 25 years its just we never needed to worry about it as we had free movement as EU citizens. These rules have applied for other third countries since it came into force in the 90s. The new Schengen database systems came online last year I believe and its very easy to police. Whether you arrive by plane, boat or on foot your registered as entering the zone as soon as you arrive and of course de-registered when you leave. Travelling time to get to Spain will not be added on as a "bit extra". I dare say if you hung around in Spain all winter nobody would know unless you were unlucky enough to maybe have an accident or get pulled over by plod but the way you would get caught out is when you present yourself at a Schengen border when you come to leave. If your over your 90 days then they will know straight away. People have been getting heavy fines for this for many years and you can be refused entry in the future. There is a campaign to retain EU citizenship for those that want it (Presumably just those who voted remain I would hope) but it has no chance. This is what the majority of people want though isnt it? To end freedom of movement. Perhaps they thought it wouldnt apply to "Their" Free movement. You don't seem to have read the posts, this was not about a person traveling around spain in a motorhome, it was about someone with legal authority to be in spain longer than 90 days (i.e. a visa for property) but having no way of 'switching off' Schengen time when crossing from france to spain or visa versa. The thread started out as the former Colin but a couple of posters own a property so it began to morph into the latter which isn't quite the same. I think Tony Jones is resident in France and Flyboy and Niktam own a property in Spain, but neither plan to live there. In both cases you've got the issue of residency, which is one thing, and citizenship which is another, the latter giving total security. Apparently Brits seeking citizenship have until the end of the year in which to apply but it seems it's not that simple. This Brit has lived in France for 27 years and his children are French born, but his application for citizenship has been rejected. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51280617