Derek Uzzell

Moderators
  • Days Won

Derek Uzzell last won the day on March 8

Derek Uzzell had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

3,654 profile views

Derek Uzzell's Achievements

Grand Master

Grand Master (14/14)

• Very Popular Rare
  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Conversation Starter
  • First Post

Recent Badges

1. As I understand it, the 'door sensor' is part of the motorhome's alarm system, so - in principle at least - a problem with the sensor's wiring should not impact on the awning light. As Labby advised earlier, checking for a failed fuse should be the first step. Unless it were known for certain that the awning light was working immediately before the sensor's wire came adrift, there remains a coincidental possibility that the awning light itself had failed before the sensor problem occurred but this was not noticed. I don't know how easy it is to get at the awning light's wiring, but if the fuses are all OK (and the wiring can be accessed easily) I'd be tempted to jury-rig a 12V power supply to the light to check it's in working order.
  2. In early-2021 Freddie asked for advice on this forum regarding fitting a gas-tank to a Fiat-based motorhome and his enquiry was titled "Elddis 285 Motorhome 2020 YEAR". I'm guessing, therefore, that he owns a 2020-built Elddis Encore 285 model, though - if that's the case - I'm unsure how to interpret his mention of a "2 year old awning light" unless that indicates the light has been retro-fitted or the original awning light was replaced 2 years ago. The advice in the Encore manual for this control-panel is shown below As Labby said above, the control-panel needs to be turned ON for the awning light to work.
  3. I think the control-panel Elddis would have fitted to Labby's "encore" would be a BCA "Denver" model as shown in the image below. This link is to an Apuljack Electronics entry relating to the "Denver" panel fitted to Bailey leisure-vehicles https://www.apuljackelectronics.co.uk/BCA-Denver-Control-Panel__p-556.aspx The link shows several views of the panel and it would appear that disconnecting it would involve prising off the panel's facia, undoing 4 fixing screws and disconnecting a number of plugs.
  4. The Auto-Trail Imala 615 model has been in continuous production since 2014 and the current kitchen layout looks like this. Earlier models had the kitchen in the same place (laterally across the motorhome's rear wall ) but the position of the sink and tap differed, as will be apparent from the photo below relating to a 2014 Imala 615. You haven't said how old your motorhome is, but you did mention that the supply pipes to the tap "are at the back of the kitchen drawer", so I assume your motorhome's kitchen is as shown in my 2nd photo above (though the design of your tap might be different). This photo shows an earlier Imala 615's kitchen unit with its doors open and to be able to access the underside of the tap to disconnect the water-supply pipes, it seems unavoidable (and stating the obvious) that you'd first need to remove the shelves and the drawer. After that, how straightforward it would be to gain access to the tap and pipework would depend on how bloody-minded Auto-Trail were when they built your motorhome. Despite the supply-pipes being behind the unit's rear panel (far from unusual) I'd expect AutoTrail to have made that panel (or at least part of the panel) removable without needing to resort to major surgery. (Realistically, if that were not the case, how would the tap have been originally connected to the water-pipes?)
  5. It's worth highlighting that the Wallas XC Duo's air-heating output is quite low (0.9kw to 1.8kw). This may be sufficient for a smallish campervan, but the Wallas unit is hardly realistic competition for a diesel-fuelled Truma Combi D6E 6kw air/water heater that (presumably in Topper's case?) would be installed in a largish vehicle.
  6. Boring, boring, boring.... Truma's installation instructions for Combi D6 heaters make it crystal-clear that the fuel metering pump MUST be installed with its pressure side (delivery direction) sloping upwards and a diagram (posted 3 times by onecal above!!!) indicates that the permissible upwards slope should be between 15 and 35 degrees. What the effect of ignoring that guidance and mounting a D6's pump at a 90 degree slope is anybody's guess, but I'm certain that Truma would not recommend it. (If you and onecal persist in having the last word in forum discussions, I suggest you get a room.😀)
  7. Topper This November 2023 MotorHomeFun thread may be worth reading. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/diesel-electric-combi-truma-heater-or-gas-electric.293777/ There's no doubt that the exhaust noise of diesel-fuelled heaters fitted to motorhomes in the past could be irritating to other campers parked nearby, but this no longer appears to be the case where current Truma Combi D heaters are concerned, with the main criticism relating to the fuel-pump 'ticking' (discussed at length above). I'm intrigued by you having the option to specify a gas or a diesel-fuelled Truma heater, as that has got to be unusual. Is the motorhome a 'bespoke' design or, if not, what is its make and model?
  8. This link may be of interest https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en-eur/oem_certification_what_does_it_mean/#:~:text=When engine oil meets OEM,OEM's specific tests and specifications.
  9. It's perhaps worth mentioning that Ainsley's motorhome is a Neismann+Bischoff Flair 830, a large and luxurious A-class design built on a heavyweight Iveco Daily rear-wheel-drive chassis with a twinned-wheel rear axle. For anyone who might have wondered about the 'unusual' scenario where a significantly lower tyre inflation pressure is being used for the rear tyres than for the front tyres, the reason is simple = there are two tyres on a Flair 830's front axle, but the rear axle has four tyres to cope with the extra weight at the Flair's rear end.
  10. Fiat's Ducato motorhome-related recommended tyre-pressures for 215/70 R15CP 'camping-car' tyres are 5.0bar/72psi (front axle) and 5.5bar/80psi (rear axle) and, if those pressures are employed, a hard ride-quality is pretty much inevitable, particularly when the motorhome is lightly loaded. To the best of my knowledge only Continental, Michelin and Pirelli currently market CP-marked 'camping-car' tyres. Continental - VancoCamper Michelin - Agilis Camping or CrossClimate Camping Pirelli - Carrier Camper All of these are available with a 215/70 R15CP specification, but the Pirelli tyre is rarer and may be more difficult to source if a replacement were needed in a hurry, while CrossClimate Camping has a directional tread pattern that presents difficulties if tyre 'rotation' is envisaged or a spare-wheel is to be carried. Original tyre equipment for motorhomes built on a Ducato camping-car or AL-KO chassis will be VancoCamper or Agilis Camping, depending on which company has the tyre-supplying contract with Fiat. There's no persuasive reason to think that when the same inflation pressures were used for each of the above tyres, that the ride-quality would noticeably differ. This lengthy 2016 forum discussion may be of interest https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/65120-tyre-choice/#comment-716865
  11. This Fiat Forum thread may be of interest. https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/2-8jtd-cam-belt-failure.427588/
  12. Welcome to the Out&AboutLive Forums, Cliff. It might help to know the exact model and age of your Elddis motorhome, but I'm guessing that the camera is the usual Elddis-fitted 'dome' type as these seem to have a notorious reputation for failure. (Example of this type of camera shown on this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=zb-yK8RboFc It's possible that your camera's cabling is gummed in place with sealant, or is 'trapped' somewhere behind the rear body-panel. If the cable's exit path from the motorhome's interior can't be detected from inside the habitation area, I don't see what alternative you have but to use judicious brute force.
  13. Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Dave. As Elddis has used the 115 model-number for over 16 years and the bathroom design has changed significantly during that period, it would be helpful if you said when your motorhome was built. The bathroom of earlier 115 models had a drop-down washbasin (image below). I'm guessing from your " little swing round sink" description that this is the type of basin your 115 has, but perhaps you could confirm if that's the case, please. This 2023 forum thread https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/61832-elddis-washroom-tap-replacement/ discussed replacing the bathroom tap of a 2008 Elddis 115. The thread includes a photo showing the wastewater corrugated hose (as well as the water-hoses leading to the tap). The logical approach (as eventually chosen for the tap replacement task) would be to remove the complete plastic moulding that accommodates the washbasin. This should allow the wastewater hose to be seen and the extent of the leaking problem to be assessed. It MIGHT be possible to get at the wastewater hose by performing surgery on the toilet-cassette locker, but doing this without first establishing where the leak is coming from would be very risky.
  14. There's useful advice in the FAQ section of this link https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/mopar/customer-service and a summary of the Ducato motorhome warranty terms and conditions here https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/mopar/warranty-servicing Although having a Ducato motorhome's servicing carried out by an 'independent' garage is permissible during the Fiat warranty period, to maintain the warranty requires the garage to adhere strictly to Fiat's servicing requirements and - if an under-warranty claim were subsequently submitted to Fiat - it would be necessary for the motorhome's owner to provide documentation proving that this had been done. Also (as mentioned above) the chances are minimal that software revisions/modifications that would be included by a Fiat Professional agent during servicing could be made by an independent garage. An engine oil/filter change for a 2023 diesel-fuelled Ducato requires about 6 litres of lubricant. The oil recommended in the Ducato handbook is SELENIA WR FORWARD 0W-30 and the on-line per-litre asking price for this is £17-£24 (ie. £102-£144 for 6 litres). My 2015 Ducato-based Rapido motorhome was serviced during my 6 years of ownership at Motus Commercials Fiat at Gloucester and, at its first service in 2017, the recommended SELENIA oil was used (about £80 if I remember correctly). After that I had the Rapido serviced annually, but a different oil (but to Fiat's specification) was used at significantly less cost. The service manager told me that, if there were an under-warranty claim, Fiat had proven to be very picky about non-Fiat-recommended 'parts' having been used and habitually demanded a sample of the oil for analysis. He said that, once the warranty had expired, there was no really persuasive reason to use SELENIA provided that the different oil met Fiat's specification. (Incidentally, this is the first thread I've encountered where the 'justification' of some postings was centralised https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/64545-posting-page-justification/ In this case mtravel's posting and onecal's first posting were affected.)
  15. Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Jamie. First things first - please state the make, exact model and age of the motorhome from which you want to remove the bed.