Thai Bry

Members
  • Last visited

Converted

• Interests
    Fly Fishing, Saxaphone, and Touring

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Thai Bry's Achievements

Mentor

Mentor (12/14)

• First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

1. Our 416 Mercedes twin axle but has 4 rear wheels, on rear axle - eventhough 1st Registered in 2007 - was the one in a special Blue colour and the last of the design with a "Bar layout". With blue and cream velvet chairs. I've been told bt engineers at M B, it's one of the best engines made by M B , as it has a metal timing belt and is also a "5 pot" engine. However the starter battery is situated as per the photo in Derek's link
  2. I totally agree with Brian K on all his points. When we started out many many years ago, we at 1st hired a motorhome - Swift Royale - for a fortnight. This initially gave us the bug to try this life style. However, you must bear in mind that it's a hobby/ lifestyle that should be enjoyed - if possible - all year round, and not just the usual 2 week's break, or 1/2 term breaks if you have a family. Or even little long week-end breaks. We are now on our 5th van, having retired we tend to spend even more time away. Mainly now touring this country, as we think we've done enough - if you can call it that - of mainland Europe. As previously stated, there are a lot of side issues to look at from a financial aspect. Insurance mainly , as even if the vehicle is "SORNED" - to cut back on road tax, it still must be insured to cover for any damage or even theft. Sit them down and go through all the pros and cons. Buying older vans may not be the best option, if you look at potentially throwing good money after bad on repairs. Or even the 1st choice may not give the best layout that suits. We're actually on our 5th van - 2nd A class - and feel its the layout that suits us. Things may change as we get older - and climbing into our bed over the rear garage - has become a little slower. Hope some of this information is of help
  3. As people will know, we've had our Hymer from new since 2007. As Brian & Derek have stated, there is very limited room to work on the engine, due to the design of the "A class" front bonnet. It's awkward for me to check the oil levels when the bonnet is open. Very little access to the engine compartment. We once had the starter battery replaced, at a Mercedes commercial garage, and it took nearly 1 1/2 hrs. We now have our van serviced at "Van Care" in leeds, who are a Mercedes commercial van expert. In fact the company was set up by a former worker at Mercedes commercial in Leeds. The "A" class vans are a lot more difficult to work on due to the limited access to the engine bay. Maybe that's why there is a premium for working on these kinds of motorhomes.
  4. We too have left the club, not for the advertising scenario. We were recently on a site, told by the wardens to drive around and choose a pitch. We chose 1 however there was a car on the pitch that we wanted. When we asked, we were told that they put the car on the pitch as their friends were due in the near future, and they wanted to reserve the pitch for their friends. When I pointed that the warden said we could chose any pitch I was met with total silence. Needless to say we left the site, told the wardens of our reason for leaving, all they could say was that shouldn't be happening, but nothing was done. We now very rarely use the CMC sites. Prefer to stay at independent sites.
  5. We were going to do the NC 500, but decided against it due to the size of our motorhome. Instead we stumbled across the Motorhome and caravan magazine, highlighting what they call the SC 500. Starting out at Gretna Green, going round via Newton Stewart, Wigtown(Scotlands book town), Garliestone ( where they trialed the Mulberry Bridge for the D D landings), Whithorn, Largs and others. We went off piste a little, and went across to Dunoon, then round to Inveraray, Lochgilphead, on to Oban, round via Glen Coe. Superb roads, and still touring. Found some little sites on forestry land, where we wildcamped, ( only 2 motorhomes allowed @ £7/night, but must park 4 metres apart.) Jubilee Point on Lock Eck. Free camped around Largs down by the beach for a night. Still enjoying the countryside. Weather has turned a little, making our way back down via Annan water, Moffat and then back to a little motorhome aire at Gretna Green, where we started. Then home to Yorkshire. Hope this gives you another idea/ route to try Lots of history on this circular route, and allowed me to do a lot of fly fishing as well.
  6. We're up on a site in Lochgilphead at the moment. We have had a new Trauma combi 6e boiler installed a couple of years ago on our Hymer 700G We have a manual "Dump valve" rather than an auto drain one. Again this is a little yellow lever near the boiler. In the horizontal/ sideways position, the system is closed, in the upright/vertical position the system is open and drains from the main boiler. As Robin Hood has said, there are also a couple of valves on the "Blue / Cold" line and similar on the red/ hot line. Have you checked these options. Hope this helps.
  7. We have a large Hymer with automatic gearbox. We have the large Milenco ramps with with 3 steps/ grooves. If we need to use the ramps, then the Mrs gets out and watches as I gently move onto the ramps. Usually the 2nd step suffices, just a hand held up to stop, is suffice. Just be patient and use very little right foot pressure on the accelerator. If you use too much power, then there is the chance you'll overshoot the ramp. As others have stated, gently does it, and a bit of practice, and you'll soon master it.
  8. Many thanks to all replies and your advice. Very much appreciated
  9. So many thanks for this info. I've been looking at the potential of a router with an external antenna. However of the more flexible kind - where I can just detach the external antenna - when moving off for the next part of our journey. We're looking to stay no longer than 2 nights at any site. Maybe a little longer at a bigger site to wash some clothes etc.etc.etc.
  10. Many thanks to both replies on this subject.
  11. We are about top embark on a longish tour of Scotland, rather than our usual annual trip to Germany. This time we would like to take / have with us our own "secure" WiFi, rather than use free wifi or hotspots. Do any members of our superb people have a good solution / or personal recommendations that we can look at. Many thanks in advance
  12. I think the only real motorhomers were the couple who stopped overnight and had a brick thrown through heir window. I thought the accident prone guy was a bit of a "You've been framed" guy. Falling off a step ladder whilst cleaning his motorhome, falling into a lake, and getting his motorhome stuck on a gate whilst reversing. May be the cynic in me
  13. Many thanks to all for this info. We'll bear this in mind when up in this area. We are planning a long tour of Scotland this year instead of our usual trips to Germany. As we have a large Hymer A class and this kind of info from others who have toured Scotland is invaluable. Suffice to say that due to our size of Motorhome we will not be attempting the NC 500 roads.