Robinhood

Members
  • Days Won

Robinhood last won the day on April 6

Robinhood had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Robinhood's Achievements

Grand Master

Grand Master (14/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges

1. This should give you some idea. I'm pretty sure you can also get the sensor complete with end connector, but that will/would entail working inside the door as well. (which can be done by removing the switch panel on the armrest, but is definitely keyhole surgery). TBH, I've only taken a broken mirror apart, and that was fiddly. Care will be needed. (FWIW, I had one fail on my previous 'van whilst under warranty, and Fiat's response to that was to replace the full mirror).
  2. TBF, one doesn't have to login to read replies, so calling someone out after a day might well be previous. As to behaviour overall, this is the internet, no point in getting too worked up about it!
  3. If considering Germany, just check the mirrors aren't "handed". I have a feeling that even the extended T4 mirrors aren't the same on both sides to correct for the angle from the driving seat. On the extended ones the arm might be longer on one side than the other, and the part numbers would then be different for LHD and RHD. I'm far from sure, but I would check visually. The standard mirrors are most certainly handed and different shapes either side.
  4. I read Elvis's post as saying he'd replaced the rubber band, rather than locating a replacement lock. Looking at images of locks on Google brings up the following (very) similar looking unit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383156362392 ....complete with dimensions. It might be worth a check (and searching on the "IRN1" part number might bring other hits on Google).
  5. Indeed, I should have been rather more correct in my terminology. 500A MTA-made one on mine (though earlier X/250s seem to have had a 150A version looking at ePer).
  6. They can't (and they won't). The charging rate for lead-acid batteries is largely determined by their current acceptance which varies by state of charge, rather than alternator power and even at a maximum is going to be much less than, say, the 180amp output of an alternator. (which is sized to support battery charging and all other potential simultaneous electrical loads on the vehicle). That current acceptance is, to some extent, proportional to the battery Ah, so requirement would increase by adding additional battery load. (Though, IMO, in many cases you'd have to add a lot to cause significant problems). Hence the recommendation for a more powerful alternator for uprated/auxiliary batteries. (Just to note, the current acceptance of a Lithium battery can be much higher across the charge state range, to an extent that it is easily possible to challenge existing wiring, fusing and alternator output. That's why in many circumstances a simple drop-in replacement is not a good idea). Over the years alternators of various ratings have been available on the Ducato. Perusing current specs for the UK and Germany indicates that 180, 200, and 220 Ah can be specified. The UK "AWE Conversion Pack" for instance, which could/would underpin many conversions, includes the 220Ah Alternator, uprated 105Ah battery, and the converter's socket. Yes and no. The fusebox on the battery acts as both a concentrator and and isolator for the various circuits. Each circuit is protected by a midi or mega fuse, and properly installed auxiliary batteries should go on a/the 50A fused connection. I would think the mega fuse used to protect the vehicle battery to alternator circuit is sized for the demand from the starter, rather than the charging demand from the alternator as the latter, as per above, is essentially self-limiting. Well thanks 🙄
  7. I must admit that if I were a moderator here, you would now be banned! Moderation isn't an easy job, and I don't always agree with moderator's decisions on the various forums I frequent, but the forums aren't mine, and I wouldn't envy any moderator their task, so I accept their decisions. Regardless of whether I agree or not with a posters point of view, continuing to post the same content that has already been moderated away for reasons that have been explained is not something I, for one, find acceptable. The mods have my support.
  8. I'm glad I've not let you anywhere near my 'van electrics. 😉 As Colin has said, I also interpret the 20% "ruling" to refer to the vehicle battery; the provision of additional auxiliary batteries is mentioned only "en passant" at the end (and effectively reinforces the advice that careful design and sizing will be required, preferably by a manner approved by Fiat) The original (base vehicle) wiring is sized thoughout the vehicle for normal demands, and it is the wiring that is protected by fuses. The whole gist of the passage is predicated on a potential requirement for additional power, potentially provided by a larger vehicle battery. There is a risk that that significant extra demand (and indeed, any extra charging demand caused by a larger battery) might exceed the wiring (and thus any fusing) capacity. At best, that will simply mean repetitively blown fuses, at worst there is a temptation to increase the fuse size and end up with wiring faults. Indeed. It would make sense to ensure greater charging capacity for greater potential battery demand. The various alternators that can be specified are largely aligned with the +20% figure specified for the battery upgrade limit. When installed properly, and in line with Fiat advice, the wiring for auxiliary battery(ies) will be almost entirely separate to that for the vehicle battery. No additional load on the input and output wiring of the latter, therefore no need to worry about wires/fuses or anything else. The auxiliary circuit requires appropriate design, though. It's absolutely common practice to order vehicles for conversion with an uprated alternator (along with the converter's socket, etc.)
  9. Talking of moderation...... It might be just me, but since people do attempt to search forum contents, would it be sensible to amend the title to read "Fogstar" rather than "Frogstar"? Sorry, Karen (fond as I am of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" 😉) (All references amended - Keithl)
  10. Under different circumstances I'd ask the question of the insurer, but it is still a documented requirement on my policy. The main factor that affects my approach, however, is that, due to the strange market conditions, the insured value has only been dropped this year for the first time, and even then by only a small amount. This leaves it still well above the threshold at which a tracker is required for new policies. (At the insurer's behest, it was originally insured for list price, which (subject to all the vagaries of p/ex documentation) was rather more than the price quoted on my purchase order. It has just, after 6 years, been valued at that slightly lower price, after checking sale prices of comparable vehicles).
  11. Just to round this off. Having given myself some more thinking time, I've decided to replace the existing 2G tracker with one based on 4G technology. Further research still doesn't give definitive dates, but it appears that 2G may be around in the UK for long enough to see me out, but switch-off has started in Europe (completed in Switzerland) and it looks like it will be completed in some/many countries by the end of next year (with a phased switch-off in between). I've managed to negotiate a significant discount with the manufacturer on a replacement, with fitting on my drive, and the remainder of my existing subscription will be "rolled over". With a bit of dismantling, I've located the current device (though not on the first few tries!) so that will be removed at swap-over. The new device brings somewhat more facilities, most of which wouldn't alone have sold it to me, though the requirement for a separate driver-id device to identify theft with key, but without the additional "fob" present seems fairly sensible (it would appear all current endorsed units now have this). Renewal subscriptions are similar to the existing device.
  12. ...generally, the reports of fires concern the use of Li-Ion or Li-pol batteries. The majority of Lithium "leisure" batteries marketed are LifePO4 technology - very different and inherently much less prone to any such issues. (Even conventional lead-acid batteries have their issues).
  13. If you "configure" a van on the MAN website, the options available are presented with a GBP price for each. As there are a lot of options, it's not a process I'd recommend unless you have a solid interest, or want to idle away an afternoon.... 😉