TeamRienza

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

TeamRienza last won the day on February 27

TeamRienza had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

TeamRienza's Achievements

Community Regular

Community Regular (8/14)

• Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges

1. Super U do car and van rentals, although not at every site. The word to look for is ‘location’ which I assume means rent or hire or similar. Davy
  2. Unless you have a service history or satisfactory receipt evidence for the last cam belt change, I would be inclined to have a new belt(s) and water pump fitted as an immediate course of action. You can then enjoy your van confident that one of the most expensive of failures has been circumnavigated. This is what I would do, but I always pay close attention to belts, brakes, tyres and cleanliness of wheel arches (rust traps). Davy
  3. This is the site I used some years ago. https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php Costs about €6 and mine came quite quickly, week or so. I also read on forums that they can be bought at MOT stations and garages, but I have no direct experience or knowledge of cost. Davy
  4. Here is a fall back. Guaranteed cover for medical issues, but not got the fancy add ons of delay to ferry, loss of luggage etc. https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/travel-insurance-europe-carefree-travel Davy
  5. For several years now I have used a local mechanic for both of my cars and our A class B598 Hymer on a Fiat engine. He and his son are trusted mechanics who will do work and offer opinions on what may or may not need further investigation or remedy. Because they are a two man outfit, their charges are not exorbitant and as a result of this I tend to add 10% on to the bill (the biscuit fund) which also means I get very prompt and attentive service including free consultations and minor repairs etc. The father is an active motorhomer and they do service and repair for a handful of owners of various vans. They do sometimes comment on the difficulty of access on A class, but usually if it is buried at the rear of the engine compartment, but they don’t appear to charge extra. In fact the prices they charge (for work on my cars too) frequently surprises me, hence the decent tip that I give. examples 2021 Timing belt kit; timing belt, tensioner, idle wheel, pulls wheel, water pump, power steering belt and air con belt. £560 2022 Full service, all oils and filters, grease Alko axle, rear brakes greased and adjusted, new temperature sensor, headlight alignment, batteries tested, headlight alignment checked and general inspection for upcoming MOT (government test centres in N Ireland) £280 Davy
  6. https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/can-i-leave-my-motorhome-unattended-for-2-months-at-a-time.103057/ found this with a quick search, a bit old, but confirms that parking and leaving for a period may not be straightforward. Davy
  7. I think you will need to consult your insurance company. I seem to recall some years ago reading that there can be a limit on the number of days the van can be left unattended whilst away from its normal storage location (home , street, or dedicated storage). if my memory is correct, this was only three days. Worth checking. Davy
  8. If you download the ccp app (free), it has the useful feature that it shows pitch availability in real time on each of their network of Aires. Over the last couple of years they have begun to expand into running municipal campsites. These are open to Motorhomes 365 days of the year, but in summer they are open to caravans too as in season they open the toilet blocks, so showers are available too. This aspect of their network is called camping a mon village. Davy
  9. My 2016 Hymer (2300 also) is still on its original starter battery and showing no signs of failing or decreased efficiency. However, the van is a 2015 build and I suspect the chassis and engine are likely to be 2014 or possibly even earlier. As I don’t wish to be caught out touring in rural France or Spain, I intend to replace the battery at service mid February before this years touring begins in earnest. I did the same for the Habitation battery last year. I used to own a Mazda MX5 as a second car. When I sold it, the original battery, which was still going strong, was 14 year old. I suspect you can be fortunate or have a battery that fails at a much younger stage. I think ten years for my Hymer battery means I have had good value and I am happy to change. Davy
  10. I use, and add reviews to, searchforsites and have done for many years. it can be accessed on the web for free. All you need to do is register a couple of basic details. The app has a cost of about £5 per year (from purchase date). It is pretty intuitive and clear, easy to use. It has the added advantage of being capable of being used when offline or no internet signal is available. However, due to the frequent new reviews and addition of new stops etc, it does need to be updated every few weeks (but worth the minor downtime while it loads new information). i like it as it has plenty of photos and frequently updated reviews by motorhomers always in English and fairy honest points of view. Davy
  11. We have been with NFOP for a few years now. My take on travel insurance is that, 1. The simplicity of the policy together with the fairly generous cover is to my mind reassuring compared to the small print and scope for exclusion with many companies offerings. 2. I believe that as we get older and accumulate more issues that impact on premium levels, we have future proofed our insurance cover premiums to the annually adjusted group premium. until recently our premiums have been more expensive with NFOP than other company offerings, but now the tide is beginning to turn in our favour. I also frequently on forums read of posters finding it almost impossible to obtain cover beyond 80. As an aside, for curiosity I did a quick quote on a comparison site. 0 of 28 insurers were prepared to offer cover to a 70 year old male and 67 female with non life threatening conditions. Davy
  12. Can’t help with the potential cause or fuse location, but consensus is that jump starting a Motorhome can cause damage to the habitation control box and electrics. The habitation side of the van needs to be isolated before jumping the starter battery. I am sure experts in Motorhome electrics will give better advice than I can offer. good luck. Davy
  13. It seems that height is more likely to trigger problems at a toll booth. Tags are issued to private vehicles of up to 3 metres height. More than this seems to occasionally be challenged at booths. Even then you can get through by pressing the help button and explaining that you are a Motorhome. There must be thousands of vans that are over 3.5 tonnes, but weight doesn’t seem to be an issue. My van is 3850 kg, 7 metres length and 2.9m high. I currently use a Bipandgo tag with no issues. It can be set to include France, Spain, Portugal and Italy if you wish. I previously used an ATMB tag with no issues although it does France only. Davy
  14. As coincidence would have it we are heading to Sydney on Thursday to visit family for about 6 weeks. I want to get a local sim, although not exclusively for data for the duration of our stay. This is one option that has been suggested and was previously used on a payg basis by other family members. https://colesmobile.com.au/home/left-image/product/40 Notice that it can be up to 50gb monthly if on auto renew. Coles is a supermarket chain and I believe my daughter has her own contract with them. No doubt they offer other options. Daughter only sent this link this morning so I haven’t really looked at it yet, but as we don’t really stream (12gb in EU is sufficient for us) and will have access to WiFi a data heavy sim is not essential. ps our house will not be empty while we are away in case anyone thinks we shouldn’t tell of our movements. Davy
  15. Not exactly the same, but to get the ball rolling, my 7 metre A class Hymer was sold at a plated 3500kg weight. It was 2016 (2015 model 2.3 Fiat) and I have kept a bit of a diary of visits and usage. It has consistently over 49,000 miles returned 28.5 mpg. The van was up plated in 2018 to 3850 kg but this has made no difference at all to the mpg. Usage is in Ireland for about 30 nights per year on mostly A and B roads and about 60 nights in France and Northern Spain on again a mix of A and B roads with some motorway if required (but not through choice). The vehicle is driven considerately and rarely exceeds 50 - 55 mph as we are in no rush to get places and shake the van to bits. Davy