Brock

Members
  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Brock's Achievements

Veteran

Veteran (13/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges

1. Right, Derek. I wanted increased to 3,650kg to carry extra passengers or 120l of water. The van was increased to 3,850kg by SV as we had semi air on the rear and 2000kg on each axle. Realistic, because we didn't change tyres, we limited the van to 2000kg on the rear, and 1650Kg on the front as there was no room to load more. Now just with me and the missus using sites, the van will come in back below 3,500kg. We still have the 2013 Hymer 504 A-class. And I'm waiting for the Government increasing the weights so I don't need the C1!
  2. Thanks for this, Eric and Derek. I'm at 70 this summer and I'm wondering whether to downplate or go through medical tests. First step will be get the van weighed again 3,420 kg last time,
  3. Many years ago the exit to a Sainsbury's was via a low bridge, noted in metres. We didn't know what the van height was in metres but we though we were under the quoted bridge height. With bated breath, we went under the bridge and came out unscathed. The car behind us waved us down and said we only had a couple of inches to spare. With bravado, I said "So what!" My misses said, "Never again". Ever since, we have had a note in the cab giving the height and with width - including wing mirrors, and 'furniture' on the roof, at least six inches/centimetres to spare, and the tyre pressures. We've still had one incident where we approached a low bridge on the A137 @ Mannigtree with the earlier road-side signage hidden in foliage; we had to do a U-turn in busy traffic. Comfort Insurance once told me in a telephone conversion that the most common claims were for aerials and satellites knocked off the roof going through a low bridge.
  4. I am on my third A-Class since 2000. I bought them because the drop down beds gives us more space which is essential to keep the van on our drive. If it was not for the space benefit, I would buy a 'normal' motorhome. I know there are A-Class fanatics; I'd probably be one if I was able to find a local garage can do all the work necessary, the windscreen wasn't £1800 (in c2016 but it was supplied in England within a day and paid for by the insurer), had a longer home drive, and drop down beds are not to everyone's taste and are not as good as fixed beds. I could go on - I've not mentioned the cost! On the upside, A-classes tend to be well built and most have double floors. On risk, I'd say the chances of having an incident there is little to choose between cabs/A-classes. It's trying to solve problems where the A-classes are in a class of their own. If Daveth is willing to take the risk, go for it! We all seek adventure don't we?
  5. Two of our A-class motorhomes had Garmin satnavs. The only time we have hearing problems is in the current one when we have the radio on loud enough to hear the news. And our satnavs have been female. Me thinks the problem might be the van noise. Truck cabs tend to be quiet.
  6. When making big decisions I work on the basis of whether the logic and my gut feel are in harmony. I'm thinking about giving up motorhoming by the time I'm 70. Three things I take into account. Safety on the road and how I would feel if I had an accident that affected another person even if it is not my mistake. Money - do the costs over the time I will carry on motorhoming be affordable and best use of my resources. Alternatives to motorhoming, not sure what the answer to this. Health and safety on the roads have improved thanks to the local hospital. My logic and gut feel is now that I can go beyond 70. Money would be enough for a 3 year old PVC. I live in a location which has a good free bus service. Taxis are abundant and have a good reputation. A main train station is half an hour away by bus, has access to many services and I like riding on trains - and buses. However, the missus does not. Overall, I haven't come to a decision but I have just over a year to decide. If I can't, I'll toll a coin rather than continue to ponder. Whatever way I decide, the important thing is to have a decision and make it work.
  7. Good to read, Vernon. Have you checked the towing arm screws in and protrudes far enough? When I was at the Peterborough Show a few years ago, a number of A-class owners found their towing eye was not long enough.
  8. Getting down and dirty should enable Vernon to feel the Fiat chassis sufficiently to locate the eye and then see if there is any way of accessing it so the tow hook can be affixed. There must be one as Monique says unless the chassis has been modified. The tow hook would be useful for towing the vehicle short distances across a muddy field [notwithstanding what Fiat say]. It is sometimes used, I believe, to cable winch a vehicle on to a flat bed style of tow vehicle [or more likely on to a hydraulic platform]. Given the plethora of regulations on towing a vehicle on the public highway nowadays, I doubt it would be used for towing a vehicle down the road. I'd guess if worse came to worst, the breakdown trucker would remove the front bumper on Vernon's van. They removed the rear panel on the nine or so buses that overheated on the Wirral last week so they can lift the rear end. My Hymer A-class has a plate in the front 'bumper' driver side which I can unscrew to get access to the towing eye. To clear the bodywork, I have a longer tow hook than that provided as standard for Fiat Ducato commercial vehicles at the time.