veletron

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

veletron last won the day on April 19

veletron had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

veletron's Achievements

Rising Star

Rising Star (9/14)

• Reacting Well Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

1. Having gotten home from my recent break, I thought I would add to this. - I measured the oil quantity that came out: 2.7L - I drained the (incorrect) new oil, and measured that, also 2.7L despite my having added 2.9L. Only real explanation for this is the presense of a 'Dam' when filling via the breather hole. - Given the above, I refilled with 2.7L of Experya as per MLGU gearbox requirement. Note that my using the wrong oil (Geartech) seemed to have resulted in a more notchy gear change, which is why I was keen to change it for what I not know to be the right oil Experya. Note that my drain plug did not have a copper washer, I note that other folks' did have a copper washer fitted. As such I added a copper washer to mine 16mm/22mm/1mm As expected, no metalic muck attached to the magnet on second change and the gearbox has essentially had a flush!! Thanks to all for their help here. I Re-applied some lanoguard too after washing off all the damned road salt.
  2. Yes, I had exactly the same issue with my Sterling Lithiums, but I never used the app anyway as I had a more reliable AH counter. I work from the van fairly often and drained the sterlings dry a couple times, the 460AH fogstar allows more time stationary or without hookup. I do like the Sterling 70A B2B thus far. Incidentally, I found a cable on ebay that allows you to charge LB's from mode 2 EV chargers. Might get me one of those! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325614445216
  3. Back in October, I upgraded my 2xSterling 100AH lithiums to a 460AH lithium from Fogstar. I thought I would provide an update. Basically the battery is a game changer! I run it with a sterling Power 70A B2B which puts 60A into the battery when driving (the 70A is its max current draw), I also bought a lithium compatible 1.8KW/50A Inverter/charger from AliExpress for £135 (mainly because it fits under the passenger seat and neither the Victron nor Renogy chargers would (the £135 cost was nice too!). Off the inverter I run a kettle, toaster and hairdrier. On the roof is a lowly 200W of solar because I have no space for more. I fitted all this back in October. Back to the battery, I am an electronics/firmware/software engineer (medical electronics), and I quite often work from the van. This factoid was the main driver for the upgrade as it needs to run a workstation grade laptop that will draw about 8A @12V under load. Currently 5 days in to the latest WfV sesh with 161AH drawn. Expensive, yes, but dropping in price fast. This time next year, such a capacity will be £500 rather than the £1200 that I paid - there is obviously also the additonal expense of lithium compatible on the move, solar and mains chargers to consider. I rarely use sites and if I do I never get a hookup for me motorhoming is about freedom and going on holiday to a 'council estate' of many other vans is just not my bag! My next van is likely to be a self build and aside from heating the domestic side will be 100% electric utilising 4 off 610AH batteries for 31KW/H of capacity on a 48V system. Anyway unlike my lead acids which always disapointed with their performance, lithium and in particular the fogstar has impressed. Karen
  4. @onecal I don't have a 'such a worry' about this. If I did then I would not have set off for three weeks in the van! I would say that I have a 'query' about the gearbox oil, that has garnered both facts and opinions that I shall consider. Your opinion is just one of those presented, and presenting the same opinion over and over does not add to its validity in any way! Your opinion is no more valid or invalid than any others expressed here. Anyway, I got my answers so thanks again to all!
  5. I never received a paper manual with my vehicle unfortunately, but I have read elsewhere that since 2015, fiat started stating 2.9L for my gearbox also. Later versions having been stamped 2.9L on the casing. The gearbox never changed spec, just the oil amount changed. Looking back in time, there was a similar occurrence on the older x244 due to inadequate lubrication of 5th gear when the previous stated amount of oil was used. When I get home I will measure what came out and stick the same in using Experya. The fact that the motor parts retailers list geartech for my engine shows the confusion. I will treat the previous change as a gearbox flush!! If I had gotten it done at my usual garage (note that I don't use fiat garages, too expensive), I would have no clue what they had put in there! Thanks to all who responded with useful info! I should prob have had this discussion before changing out the oil lol! Karen
  6. Thanks all. Having tried to contact fiat technical and get a sensible answer to questions in the past, its simply not worth the time or effort. I guess what I have put in is fine, but I did also see the comments re Matryx. Maybe i'll replace with Matryx when I return from latest trip. I'll also measure how much came out as I put 2.9L back in. As for the engine I have been using Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C-2 5W30 for sometime now without issues.
  7. Hi There is alot of conflicting information re the correct gearbox oil for the ducato so wondered what others had put in. I bought Tutela Geartech SAE 75-85W GL4 as it was the recommended oil on two separate sites: https://www.fiatworkshop.co.uk/parts/Ducato_2014_-_2018_Gearbox_Oil.shtml and shop4parts After draining, I added 2.9L via the gearbox breather (long pipe and funnel required) Now wondering whether I have used the correct oil as seen Tutela Matryx and Experya also mentioned! I read various comments about not using a GL4+ or GL5 oil as it messes with the synchros. Any advice from others?
  8. My van is never 'stored', its always in use at least weekends so I cant answer that. I also have a camera, router and other gubbins in there that are on 24/7 so the solar panel runs that.
  9. Yes, the SOC is nonsense - I am aware that some DALY BMS have SOC issues. I don't know whether Sterling are using fixed BMS in newer batteries. These days I just ignore it, mine say 99% when batteries are at 13.1-13.2V I have now gotten to the point where I quit worrying about what the BMS says - I have an AH counter, this is a far better way of gauging what's left - I have still been able to boil a kettle via my inverter after having used 75% of the capacity (eg 150AH drawn), and I have taken them as low as 20AH remaining across the pair and they were still going. Basically unless I really try, I wont run em down! Karen
  10. Hi. Interesting, but I don't think i'll upgrade. I have only ever used the NASA to count AH used, and current one will do that perfectly with lithium. When it gets to 150AH used, I know I need to think about finding some sunshine or moving on! Karen
  11. If they are in the van out in the cold then this is probably your answer. Also, unless they are physically isolated from the van, there will still be a small load. Mine do the same, but when away, my AH counter shows that I am able to pull 180 AH from the pair so I am not too worried. The final 10% is also harder to get at because heavy loads (inverter) cause the voltage to dive, and then either the inverter cuts out or the BMS cuts the juice. They were still supplying juice after 180AH, but certainly not for running an inverter. The BMS means that you don't get the gradual fade you get with LA - all of a sudden with lithium the lights just go out and the only way to get em back on again it to supply some charge! Karen
  12. These keep appearing on my FB feed. 40A B2B with Lithium mode. Competitively priced Vs Sterling https://uk.renogy.com/12v-40a-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger
  13. Rule of thumb: heat is bad! Heat is caused when current passes through a resistance, current flowing through a resistance leads to a voltage drop across that resistance, that heat is wasted power PowerWasted=Current X Voltage drop. Get everything running, and then with a multimeter, measure the voltage across the cable/fuse combo eg from the Victron output to the lithiums on the +ve (red) cable only this gives the voltage drop. You know the current 24.5A so wasted power is 24.5A X Measured voltage drop eg if you measured 0.25V drop, then you are wasting 6.125W. Additionally, measure the voltage drop between the engine battery and the INPUT to the Victron B2B, work out the watts wasted here too and add it to the watts wasted above to get your total On my van, I use 4AWG / 25mmSq Welding cable, and I overrate fuses as well. Fuses are there mainly to protect the cables. I would use 40A/45A+ for a 30A B2B also, not all fuses are equal. ANL fuses are superior to AGU fuses, and the wee small automotive blade type fuses are not appropriate for B2B application. A fuse close to its maximum current WILL get hot!! With 4AWG and an 80A fuse, nothing is warm in my van charging @60A for several hours. I should also say that at 60A with 4AWG cables you still need to keep cable lengths 2.5M or less, for longer runs, you need to even thicker cable! Karen
  14. Hi A depleted lithium will pull whatever current it can get hold off. If there is decent cabling and a connection to the alternator via a standard split/charge system, then you end up with the BMS in the battery being the only thing present to limit the current. Not all alternators are built the same most will be just fine feeding massive currents (assuming the fuse allows this), but you are putting huge stress on the alternator particularly at tickover and possibly also on the BMS depending on the current flowing. Additionally, basic alternator charging has no means to reduce the voltage to 'float' once the lithium's are charged, in fact as the charge approaches completion and the current drops, the voltage from the alternator at the battery will increase, and once again, you are relying only on the BMS to prevent the battery becoming damaged. Given the price of these batteries, I feel that spending the extra on a BMS designed to charge them optimally is a reasonable investment. Karen
  15. Hi Don't worry, we are bouncing info off one-another. Its early days for lithium, and they are clearly not yet fit+forget - mainly due to easily remedied quality issues. We are beta-testing this tech for the masses, within 5 years, I cant imagine lead-acid for motorhomes still being a thing, and by then LiFePo4 will be fit+forget, and under £250 a pop! Still liking mine as well, esp now that winter has come along and I can do 4 days off grid without moving, watch telle and boil a leccy kettle. Thus far I have drawn 180AH out of mine (2x100AH) during a long weekend. I'd have needed 4x100AH Lead-Acid weighing over 100KG for similar real-world, no-damage capacity. Off the back of comments here, I have reduced the voltage of my mains charger to 14V/13.4V (boost/float). I am using a Sterling 40A Pro Charge Ultra off their surplus page - which has a custom mode. Hopefully this solves any cooked battery potential and limits the possibility of single-cell run-away. Karen