• Last visited

martibolt's Achievements

Newbie (1/14)

• First Post
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later
  • One Year In

Recent Badges

1. I have an 8th method of having the internet on the move. I bought (via www.thenavigationcompany.com) a device called the Pocketsurfer. As its name suggests, it fits in a pocket and you can surf the internet. It cost me £137 including postage and VAT (The Caravan Club had a special offer 2 months ago for £1499.99). The price includes 20 hours a month surfing for the first year and it costs £40 a year for each subsequent year. The display is 640x240 pixels and you get webpages just like you do on your home computer - you just have to get used to scrolling more. It has a SIM card fitted and works through the GPRS mobile phone network. It's quad-band so it will work virtually anywhere in the world. Outside the UK you have to pay for roaming which costs 25p a minute wherever you are. It's ideal for accessing emails and you can set it up for up to 10 different accounts. It won't show video and has no sound, but once you've got used to the keyboard (hold the device in the hands and use your thumbs to type) and to the special key functions, it's simple and effective. You can also use online document creation and sharing (I use Google Docs) and you can set up your own favourites list for easy access to oft-used sites. As an added bonus the device has GPS built in. An indicator at the top right of the display tells you how many satellites it's picking up and, if you've got more than 7 the accuracy is great. It usually means having to go outdoors to use this function. Your position shows up in Google Maps and you can then access the Google directions feature and search for local businesses and attractions. I've found that, with 8 or more satellites available, it will show where I am to within about a metre. It has no built in software and updates happen automatically and invisibly while you're online. It avoids trying to find a wifi site or internet cafe. It has a better display than mobile phones and PDs which rely on specially re-written pages. It's not a computer. Any applications you want to run are internet-based. No need to worry about viruses and the like. It does come with software for your home computer that will enable you to access your files at home from the Pocketsurfer from wherever you are. In short, it does what it says on the box. It gives access to the internet with real webpages almost wherever you are and at a very attractive price. I'm off to France at the end of the week and will try it out there. You can find more details at www.pocketsurfer.co.uk.