electricity

Pamand Bev

If you have an adaptor that plugs into a three pin mains socket, that will be a transformer which proboly has 12v output.

If adaptor connects to batteries and has a mains type three pin socket for you to plug into that will be a invertor

Sounds like transformer, if you look at it there should be data plate this will say something like

Input 240v 50hz X.X A

Output 12v X.X A

If it does say 12v output then you will need a lead with plug to put in back of tv and connect to your 12v system in van, these are availible from somewhere like roadpro, some people will tell you they connect straight to 12v no problems, others will say use a regulator because battery voltage varies to much and may damage tv choise is yours lead for about £5 or regulator and lead for about £40 you pay your money you take the risk or not, my tv's have all been 12v models with built in regulators

Basically what you have is a 12 volt TV with a seperate switch mode power supply to operate it from 240v mains supply.

Your TV may or may not worlk successfully connecting it to your vehicle 12 volt supply with a 12 volt lead you will need to buy as an accessory.

The problem is some TVs need a full 12 volts and may or may not be protected for the higher voltages you can get in a vehicle, say when the batteries are charging, of up to 14.8 volts although max 14.4 volts is the normal maximum. The way TV owners get round this is to use a DC to DC converter, 12 vots DC to 12 volts DC. This will provide a 12 volt if the battery is anywhere between say 10.5 volts to 14.4 volts. but normally have a much wider supply voltage range.

Using a DC to DC converter is the best option for safety.

A 240v Inverter would convert your battery voltage to mains levels and you could then power your TV from your current switch mode supply but sometimes that can create problems and some swich mode power supplies do not lke the invertor output although most modern ones will be OK.

To summarise all the above technical stuff and save your headache, I would buy a 12 volt DC to 12 volt DC converter, but some supliers actually call them regulators or stabilisers just to add mpore confusion.

Now you will need to know where to get one!

The following link is an example of what you will need..

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/acatalog/DC_DC_Voltage_Stabiliser.html

but I am not suggesting that is a good price or best supplier to use, just posting it as an example and I am sure many others in here will be able to post other suppliers.

A google seach for DC converter will bring up many hits and you can search as easily as me. You will need one which supplies the same current as your present supply which I suspect will be about 5 amps.

Hope all this helps and don't be shy to ask if you don't understand any of it, we can walk you through it a couple of questions at a time an dpropbbaly best you tell us what model and make of TV you have as a starting point.

Jon.

Archived