autosleeper on transit Mk7

heather

I have had so many problems with my 08 bolero on Fiat 130 that I intend to change it for a new autosleeper windsor on a Transit. Does anyone know of problems an this base vehicle as I dont want to gat caught a 2nd time. Thank Guys in anticipation. :'(

I have a new Windsor having changed from a Boxer based Executive in March, The Windsor now has 1600 miles on the clock (30miles on it on delivery) I cant complain over the Transits performance todate.

The boxer was a 2.5TD but came nowhere near the performance of the Transit or comfort when driving.

There are a few more features on the Transit that the 2000 Boxer didnt have like ABS, Discs all round, cruise control.

As a base vehicle I can now appreciate why the Ford is a higher price than the Pugeot/Fiat

Hi Heather, I know my old A.S. Legend on a Transit 2.5 diesel automatic is thirteen years old, but it is the best base vehicle I have ever had. Rear wheel drive, engine the propper way round, my last one was a VW 2.4 five cylinder turbo Automatic Autotrail Cherokee but this non-turbo 2.5 automatic transit outruns the VW in every way, and a pleasure to drive both comfort and handling. More Transits in commercial used than anything else, the only vehicle I had that came any where close to the Ford Transit was a rear wheel drive Renault under my Holsworth Ranger. I don't think you can go far wrong with a Ford Transit. I think Derek U. always goes for Transits and he knows his way around motor homes.

heather:

There have (inevitably) been niggles with Mk 7 Transits. I suggest you visit the Transit forum and browse through the appropriate section which should provide a fuller picture.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/

Personally, I'd be more concerned over the conversion side of a new Windsor as I've reservations about Auto-Sleepers quality-control nowadays. That's the snag with buying a new motorhome - if you get one with a near-perfect 'chassis' and a near-perfect conversion you'll think it's wonderful, but if there are significant problems with both chassis and conversion you'll tend to multiply those faults together mentally and think the whole vehicle is awful.

Despite my reservations about build-quality, the Auto-Sleepers company does seem to have a superior attitude to customer-care than the other UK motorhome manufacturers and will offer customers the opportunity to take their motorhomes to the Willersley factory for attention should this prove necessary. Very useful as long as the customer lives within a reasonable distance of the Cotswolds.

Hi Mike, I have replied on a later thread. We went for the Truma system as we think the diesel systems are too noisy despite what people say about silencers.

One thing I didnt mention in the other reply is there is no loss of storage space when the Truma system is installed

Archived