Steering Problem

Terry Lawer

Yes, regularly.

Its because you are in the inside lane following the ruts made by the HGV's and your vehicle is trying to climb out of them.

Not a problem unique to Fiat. Mercedes, VW, Toyota and vauxhall all do the same!

C.

Yes it is the same as Clive says.

I find its always the best lane. The surface becomes damaged with the trucks and therefore gets repaired more often, and, with smoother tarmac used these days its a much quieter ride.

LB

You may find some adjustment of tyre pressures helps.  First weigh the van fully laden at a weighbridge.  Make sure you get the individual axle weights on the weighbridge ticket.  If you explain to the operator what you want they will usually weigh one or other axle individually, and then the whole van, or the whole van first and then just the one axle.  Whichever, the difference is the weight of the other axle.  Keep the weighbridge ticket somewhere safe.

Then contact the manufacturer of your tyres and give them the tyre type and size, and the axle weights, and ask them for their recommended pressures for those loads.  If your tyres are Michelin, so much the better, because they know what you want, and give the advice readily.  Ask your informant for his e-mail address, and ask if he will confirm the information in writing.

You now have the proof of your vehicle's axle loads, and what the tyre manufacturer says are the appropriate pressures.  This is desirable in case you are stopped at a random weight check, and accused of running underinflated compared to the handbook pressures. 

Then, reduce the tyre pressures as advised.  Can't promise miracles, but our Ducato based Burstner was transformed.  Directional stability and ride comfort were both greatly improved, so it went where it was pointed - and I kept all my fillings!  Worth a try, and if you don't like the result all you have to do is put they tyres back to the handbook pressures.

No I don't seem to get this problem whatever van I drive, at least not that I take much notice, but there is another factor I've seen raised before, question of AL-KO chassis having wider track for rear wheels than front, so what van you have may make it worse.

p.s. I've seen posts that new X250 steering is very light at speed

Had the problem 1st time I drove south on the Motorways when I bought the van, but after having the tyre pressures set correctly as per Brians' post and having my front wheel tracking checked and corrected have not had a problem since except when rutts are very deep and also when the occassional large lorry overtakes or I pass it with a side wind but that is normal.

(the tracking was 5mm out from new).

Jon

Archived