Sliding door problems Fiat Panel Van

Mrs Sea

Just wondered if any other Adria Twin owners (2007 on new Fiat base) are having problems getting the sliding side door to shut properly, particularly when closing it from inside. It may affect other panel van conversions too.

We have to really slam it hard but often, though it looks shut, it isn't. If you try the locking switch on the dash, it won't lock indicating it is still partly open. We usually have to open and close the door two or three times before we are successful. The sound of the door being slid on its runners and then crashing shut, only to be opened and shut again is enough to wake the dead - I'm sure adjacent campers wouldn't be too pleased late at night - but thankfully as we wild camp mostly there aren't folk around to upset!

The problem is worse if we are slightly front end up but even dead level can be a problem. Nose end down makes the door slide more easily and tends to shut properly first time. If closing door from outside problem is less but still present.

Having taken it to a Fiat dealer for adjustment (when a month or so old) we were advised that it wasn't a Fiat warrantly issue as the door has been modified for the conversion and is heavier than it was designed to cope with. The chap did however think it would improve as we used it more. It hasn't.

Clearly the weight of the door with insulation, window, blinds etc is greater than a pure commercial van. Closing it from inside is more awkward as there isn't a handle to grab/pull and trying to pull it 'uphill' (albeit only slightly) will just make it even harder to get the momentum going. Has anyone else had the problem and is there an easy fix? Do we report it as a warranty issue with the dealers?

Many thanks.

Hi Nicky,

Not heard of this one before but I know some people find it easier to close the door from the outside. It could be very inconvenient at times though.

I've got the previous (2003) Ducato and our door has window/blinds etc but closes OK.

Our local Fiat dealer mainly services cars and does not have a great deal of expertise in panel vans but I'm very lucky having a little man down the road who does jobs like that.

It might be worth your while checking a local dealer who services light commercial vehicle who might be able to sort your problem.

Don

don't let them fob you off,its ether a fiat or dealer problem.  talk  to dealer first .tell them to sort it.they sold you the van.if they don't  tell them they will come to work one day and find van parked in across there gates  and no keys in. be nice first and if that doesnt work try other way.

New Fiat has supposadly been designed with motorhome conversion in mind!

My T25 door sometimes has trouble closing, but at 20years old I'll put that down to age, whatever it is a problem your dealer is legaly obliged to sort out.

Note all SLD that I know of lock at rear of door they just hook in at front, so sometimes if you can pull at back whilst sliding it helps

Thanks folks for your comments. We have reported the problem to the dealer along with the water ingress problem under the bonnet which seems to be affecting all new Sevel based motorhomes. We await their reply. Will let you know how we get on.

At night time we use front passenger door as SLD on T25 is very noisy, but I guess if you have swivelled front seat not an option.

When closing from outside try placing left hand on door handle and right hand towards back of door and as you slide door forward just as it closes push with right hand (if that makes sence).

I have a 2007 Adria Twin and the door shuts properly, though it does take quite a slam. It's harder from the inside, but we don't use the plastic handle, as it doesn't look up to the job. Instead, we grab the metal of the door where the window surround is and it shuts properly pretty much every time. Shutting from the outside is much easier.

I agree it's pretty noisy and, yes, if it doesn't shut first time, it means another loud bang. So, we opt for a good shove and a very loud bang the first time!

Shaun

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my Adria Twin.

The door sensor is at the back of the door. When closing from the outside it helped to push on this area with one hand, while shutting the door.

I returned the van to Fiat who made some adjustments, now it is somewhat better.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for an update. Took our Twin to Fiat dealer who said he would look at the problem when it was in for a service. I think he greased the runners or something. Slight improvement but not quite what I hoped for. Its going back for the 'Supplementary Kit' to prevent the water under the bonnet ingress problem so I'll ask them to look at the sliding door again then.

Thanks to all who responded.

Archived