Heki 3 - Any more like this one?

Vernon B

My 2003 Pilote 270 came with a Heki 3 rooflight. It leaked water within a few months, was resealed and was then the subject of a Dometic recall because they had found it necessary to advise dealers to increase the roof aperture clearance to accommodate greater than expected expansion under hot conditions.

The work on mine was carried out in March 2004 - twelve months after I took delivery of the new 'van. Since then the unit has been leak free until a couple of days ago.

On removing the internal trim I was surprised to find that the main frame had warped and distorted very badly and had cracked in several places including on the flange which mates with the roof. It is pretty clear that this is the cause of the leak and I doubt whether a simple reseal will proved a reliable long term cure.

Unfortunately I have no idea whether there was any evidence of this damage when the recall was carried out - and therefore should have required the unit to be replaced - but nonetheless it appears I have a unit which has proved to be unfit for purpose.

Obviously I need to get this fixed pdq. I'm hoping it will be possible to get Dometic to supply a replacement frame but failing that it will need a complete new unit costing around £600 - and of course that raises the issue of who should pay - the 'van and the Heki are out of warranty.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I'm not expecting a sympathic response from Dometic so before taking it up with them it would be helpful if I could establish whether my problem, and that recall, are exceptional or whether these rooflights have a habit of "frying" given a little exposure to sunshine.

Any relevant experiences would be welcome.

Thanks

Vernon

Archived