Bio Diesel

Clyde

"It turned to a very thick mess in a relitively short time, 7 to 10 days depending on ambiaent weather conditions. "

AT low ambient temperatire Biodiesel wil gell. The more Animal fats in the Used oil to be processed the higher the temperature, and also if it is poorly made. Hence in winter it has to be mixed with ordinary diesel or have additives. Personaly I agree always best to use a mix except in warm climates. The gelling reverses back to liquid when warmed up again.

In germany there were lots of reports of cars having problems and gumming up, I have bought Biodoesel in Gernany at a super,erket Pump - I accidently spilt some, because the nossle did not snap off (faulty) the bio looked disgusting and certainly was not well made - was thick, smelt disgusting and did not run well. I later bought in Czech republic and Van ran beatifully on it.

Re warranties, all modern engines since 1999 or about then, cannot remember exact dates are designed to run on 30% bio. Peugoet incidently for same Ducato engines state 30% bio for warranty.

Jon.

Hi,

Great topic in this financial climate and with the ever increasing cost of fuel,

I have to wonder just how many Fish & Chip or Kebab shops are actually going to give you there old oil, as i would think they are aware of its use and lets be fair they are trying to make ends meet just the same as us. coupled with that the cost of collection and storage must affect the savings

I actually started looking at this 6 months ago and at that time Lidls were selling their cheapest cooking oil at 78p/litre i looked yesterday and that was now £1.07/litre, which seems to appear that it is tracking the price of diesel !! I Wonder WHY!!

Taking the above into account and assuming we obtained the right equipment does anyone have any idea how much we could realistically obtain a litre of usable oil/diesel for

Thank you

Hi,

Just checking the figures, I think someone quoted that you could buy BioDiesel for 1.05/litre (Which apears cheaper than you can by cooking oil) and someone quoted that you can use the 30% if these are correct is it really worth putting yourself out to find a garage that is selling it ready mixed.

80 litre tank x (normal Diesel) at 1.25/litre = £100.00

80 - 30% = 56/24

56 litres (normal Diesel) at 1.25/Litre = £70.00

24 Litres (Bio Diesel) at 1.05 = £25.20

Total = £95.20

80 Litre Tank full Normal Diesel = £100

80 Litre Tank Full 30% mix Bio/Normal = £95.20

If my calculations are correct, i am not sure that i would put myself out to find a garage that sells the bio-fuel,

When i was producing Biodiesel, i used to get phone calls from companies in the far east wanting to sell me Biodiesel for 42p per litre. Great if nyou have no scruples as these companies are making their product using soya and they are clearing arcres of natual forrest to grow the soya. There is another method of making Biodiesel and instead of using oil it uses algea, but there has to a lot more tests on it. The advantage of using that new method is that it will not affect the food chain. One of the reasons that I gave up is that before I started the business I contacted the Enviroment Agency to see what permits I needed and was told that I only needed to have a waste carriers permit (you need this to take oil from commercial business and you have to give them a receipt as there has to be a correct paper chain), just over a year later the EA contacted me and told me that I needed an IPPC, I said we could just about absorb that, then they told me, ah yes but the application form is so complex that you will have to engage a consultant at a cost of £10,000. The Government are so helpful aren't they.

I am glad that I have just bought a petrol engined motorhome. I am thinking of getting it converted to LPG, as I believe that at present it,s the only way forward.

Hi,

I think the point you make regarding converting to LPG is valid, the only point i would make is that LPG is part of the refining process e.g. Liquefied Petroleum Gas and while i think the taxation is lower at the moment, I would be careful as knowing GB when he remembers he will probably put that up like everything else

yesmad - 2008-05-30 12:15 PM

When i was producing Biodiesel, i used to get phone calls from companies in the far east wanting to sell me Biodiesel for 42p per litre. Great if nyou have no scruples as these companies are making their product using soya and they are clearing arcres of natual forrest to grow the soya. There is another method of making Biodiesel and instead of using oil it uses algea, but there has to a lot more tests on it. The advantage of using that new method is that it will not affect the food chain. One of the reasons that I gave up is that before I started the business I contacted the Enviroment Agency to see what permits I needed and was told that I only needed to have a waste carriers permit (you need this to take oil from commercial business and you have to give them a receipt as there has to be a correct paper chain), just over a year later the EA contacted me and told me that I needed an IPPC, I said we could just about absorb that, then they told me, ah yes but the application form is so complex that you will have to engage a consultant at a cost of £10,000. The Government are so helpful aren't they.

I am glad that I have just bought a petrol engined motorhome. I am thinking of getting it converted to LPG, as I believe that at present it,s the only way forward.

Slightly O/Topic but whilst waiting in VW reception, | read an article which said that some Vws can run up to 5% added biodiesel by commmercial operatores.

Anything other than that, warrenty was void.

Some later VWs you could get conversion kits to enable higher percentages of biodiesel to be used, but then you were recommended not to return to using commerical fuels.

Travelling through France at the end of the summer holidays, the peage smelt like a chip factory

Rgds

• 13 years later...
Brambles - 2008-05-28 8:55 AM

Hi,

Yes you can, but from the tests I have done on my 2.0JTD, I found the power available started to drop off a bit when between 30 to 50% mix being quite noticeable at 50% mix and more. With a larger engine this would not matter so much but with a large Motorhome and 2.0 litre you really need the edge on the power. Having said that, some users claim it makes no diference.

One of the problems if you have been running on dino fuel for a long time is it is pretty filthy stuff and your fuel tank and pipes get a layer of dirt building up. The natural cleaning effect of Biodiesel will shift all this muck and it gets caught in your fuel fillter so when changing over you need to also change your fuel filter after a short while. All depends on quality of fuel you have been using and how much and tends to be on higher mileage vehicles.

In winter or cold weather it is also preferable to have a mix as some biodiesel can solidify at low temps, but if your local chap is making from rapeseed oil it should be down at a few degrees or less. Adding mineral diesel drops the temp lower. For summer no probs.

I know it's an old post but maybe someone can still look for this information. Was it Ducato II or Ducato III? I have a Ducato III from 2008 with 2.3 120 MultiJet (Sofim F1AE0481D) and I wonder if it is safe to use biodiesel in it.

P.S. It's my first post here so nice to meet you, everyone :)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums

A Fiat Ducato with a 2.0JTD motor would be referred to as “2nd generation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

and the vehicle with that motor mentioned by ‘Brambles’ in the 2008 posting you’ve quoted was a 2003 model.

I can’t answer your question as to whether using biodiesel in your 2008 Ducato would be ‘safe', but Fiat would not have designed the vehicle to use biodiesel, and the relevant Ducato Owner Handbook advises that the correct fuel should be "Diesel for automotive engines (Specification EN590)”.

https://www.crownoil.co.uk/fuel-specifications/en-590/

The pros/cons of biodiesel are mentioned in this 2016 USA article

https://extension.psu.edu/whats-so-different-about-biodiesel-fuel

(Idle curiosity, but are you posting from Lisbon, Portugal?)

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-02 5:06 PM

Apologies for OT, but hello Jon. Long time no hear: how are you?

Hi Brian,

I am still here and still enjoying life despite these strange times and difficulties getting away to Slovenia in the Motorhome these last couple of summers and just sticking to nearer home but rediscovering the beauty of Scotland.

I shall drop you a PM with the latest news, saves posting it all in here and making it all public. Not that I have anything to hind of course.

Jon.

Archived