Hymer 544 B Klass

hallii

I am in the fortunate position (shortly) of being able to think about buying a Hymer, the B Klass, (not classic) seems to have more storage, do all the B Klass have the Maxi Alko chassis 3.9 tonne?

The 544 seems about the right size and I have had a look round a couple of them whilst abroad, I like the layout and build quality.

I would welcome any advice you may have to offer, I am thinking about a 2003 model, LHD.

We are two seniors and like the overcab bed, no making the bed up every night!

Geoff

Hymer's January 2003 UK leaflet indicates that a B-Class 544 was available with either a Fiat Ducato 15 AL-KO chassis with a 3500kg maximum overall weight, or a Fiat Ducato 18 AL-KO chassis with a 3900kg maximum overall weight (though Hymer offered a free-of-charge option to 'down plate' this to 3500kg).

(For what it's worth, the B-Classic 544 (built on a non-AL-KO base) could also be obtained on a Ducato 15 or 18 chassis though the weight limits were slightly different.)

It's just lucky that I've hung on to Hymer's 2003 leaflet.

If you want a quick-and-dirty way of telling a B-544 with a Ducato 15 (3500kg) chassis from one with a Ducato 18 (3900kg) chassis, a reasonably reliable visual clue is that the former will normally have 15" wheels and the latter 16" ones.

Hello,

Another point to remember when buying a 2003 Hymer on a Fiat Ducato is to check that the gearbox is the one with 5th gear built-in (ie up on the top left of the shift pattern and NOT over on the right (which means it will still have the old troublesome gearbox with fifth gear problems)). As someone that has had and older B544 and now has a 2003 B584 I have ben down the road of losing the fifth gear. I was informed that despite the new dash etc some old gearboxes were still fitted to the newer model so chose my curent Hymer very carefully. The newer box is a great improvement.

Good luck.

Priscilla

Being a Fiat-phobe I'm not familiar with fine detail relating to that marque. I was aware of the Fiat 5th-gear problem and that the gearboxes involved had a 'outboard' 5th-gear cluster and I understood that modifications to the gearbox had been made to prevent such failures. However, I thought these changes weren't implemented as early as 2003. If identification of 'old-style' and 'new-style' gearboxes is as straightforward as checking the gear lever's shift-pattern, then this would be valuable information for prospective buyers of any Fiat-based motorhome with 2.8 litre motorhome.

(Priscilla:

I'm a mite perplexed by your "up on the top left of the shift pattern and NOT over on the right" advice. Are you referring to the position of reverse-gear in the gear-lever shift pattern, perhaps?)

Hi,

The Ducato gearbox changes can actually be found on vehicles as early as 2002. My immediate neighbour at home bought a facelifted Ducato based IH in early 2002 and this was fitted with the new pattern box which does indeed have a shift configuration as you describe above.

My own 2002 registered Ducato based vehicle was built in June 2001 (cab) and has the old pattern box. I guess that some of the earlier pattern boxes could still be found in vehicles registered as late as 2003 perhaps.

Nobby

Priscilla/Nobby:

I'm still a tad hazy about the gear-shift pattern that identifies whether a Fiat gearbox is a 'new' or 'old' type?

Obviously we are talking about vehicles with the 2.8-litre motor and I'm assuming that the shift-pattern of the five forward-gears is the usual (left-to-right across the 'gate') 1st-forward, 2nd-back, 3rd-forward, 4th-back, 5th-forward arrangement. (I have driven vehicles with different 5-speed patterns.)

Am I right in thinking that, with the 'NEW' gearbox, REVERSE-gear is selected by moving the gear-lever to the left of the 1st-gear/2nd-gear 'slot and forward?

Conversely, with the 'OLD' gearbox, is REVERSE-gear selected by moving the gear-lever to a position directly below that of 5th-gear? (If not, where?)

Basically, is the way to tell the gearboxes apart simply...

NEW-type gearbox - Reverse-gear position to LEFT of 1st-to-5th-gear shift-pattern.

OLD-type gearbox - Reverse-gear position on RIGHT of 1st-to-5th-gear shift-pattern.

Hi Derek,

Sorry, have been away for a few days. Nobby is correct (thanks for putting a prospective B544 owner right).

Good luck with your search for your B544 (if you decide also to look at a B584 (with later gearbox) get in touch - my 2003 is reluctantly up for sale due to illness in the family.

Regards

Priscilla

Archived