importing motorhome from aus

jeffchef

we are shipping our merc sprinter m/h from aus-2001 with 250k on it -still like new- with regards to getting gas fro cooking/heating etc throughout uk and europe- what is the best ay of getting refils and do you need different filling adaptors overseas- and best place to by a quiet genei for my split air con system. many thanks

You'll have to be more specific, are you on exchangable bottles or refillable bottles or refillable tank?

Whatever, exchange bottles are not same throughout europe, if you wish to use these you need to buy different bottles and change connections, I think there are sets of adaptors you can buy.

If you are using refillable auto gas you need adaptors also

Couple of sites which will give you some ideas

http://www.mthautogas.co.uk/index.php

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products.htm

I'm assume you have compared the cost of shipping to UK with the cost of selling in Aus and buying an equivalent in UK, and are satisfied this is the cost effective option.  I'm also assuming you intend a permanent move to UK, when you will tour UK and Europe, and will not be returning with the van back to AUS.

For historic reasons, each country in Europe has different LPG suppliers, and there are a number of different variants on the type of cylinder connection.  There is no facility to exchange cylinders across frontiers, so a UK sourced cylinder has to be exchanged for another from the same UK supplier.  Calor is the commonest make in UK, and has an extensive network of depots where cylinders can be exchanged.  What will work best for you will depend on where and when you intend touring, and how large your existing gas locker is. 

However, there are roughly two main sizes of cylinder: 7Kg and 13Kg (with some variation between suppliers/countries on actual capacities and cylinder dimensions).  The exception is Camping Gaz, which is butane only and for which the largest cylinder is (I think) 5Kg.  Its sole advantage is that it is available pretty well throughout Europe, the connections are consistent in all countries, and cross border exchanges are straightforward.  However, the small cylinders limit its usefulness and it is relatively expensive.  Notwithstanding, quite a few folk have one as a back up spare.

Before you can decide how to proceed you should know there are broadly two kinds of LPG regulator currently in use.  One, the older type, no longer fitted to new vans, mounts directly onto the cylinder, and has a low pressure flexible connection to the fixed pipework.  With these, there are separate butane and propane regulators, which are set to differing delivery pressures - which I cannot quote for you.  Thus, if you want to change the gas type, you must also change the regulator.  And no, a UK cylinder mount regulator will not attach to a French (or whatever) cylinder!  The second type of regulator, which is now the standard for all vans, mounts to the gas locker wall and is permanently connected to the rigid on-board gas pipework.  This variant connects to the LPG cylinder via a high pressure flexible hose.  It has two main advantages: that the one regulator accepts either propane or butane, and supplies either at a constant 30mBar pressure.  With this type, to switch gases, or suppliers, it is therefore only necessary to change the high pressure flexible hose, all else remains undisturbed.  This opens the possibility for you to obtain, say, one UK cylinder and one, say, French cylinder.  If your touring is likely to commence/end in UK, and pass through/near to France, this makes changing cylinders fairly straightforward as you travel, with the priviso that you can accommodate two 13Kg cylinders.  If not, the main alternative is to fit either a permanent gas tank, or to fit one or two refillable cylinders -which then become a semi-permanent installation - and which in either case you fill from autogas filling stations.  Autogas is fairly widely available in Europe, though this varies from country to country.  If your gas locker won't take two of the 13Kg sized cylinders, and you intend touring extensively, especially in winter with gas heating, then I think your best solution will be a permanent tank mounded beneath the vehicle floor.

Having said all of that, you would also be wise to check the operating pressures of your on-board appliances, since, if these do not correspond with either of the above, you will need to at least change the jets, and may have to change all of your on board gas appliances.  If that proves necessary, it just may change to economics of shipping the van to UK!

Hope this helps!

With regards to the abrieviation 'aus' are you referring to Australia or Austria.

Many UK residents refer to that continent as Oz, you are confusing the issue with the word aus, it should be also 'capitalized' if you mean a country.

Gas equipment and adaptors vary in many European countries. Much of the UK and Northern Europe is too cold for air con use.

We had some Ozzie visitors today 29th May, I suggested the temperature was warm and pleasant at 21c. they said "Hell this is winter weather doesn't it get any warmer, it's summer"? "Perhaps, if you're lucky"

LB

Sorry about that Jeff, should be app 156,250 miles then, don't sound so hard going now.

I thought the OZ way of life after retiring was....paint the house....by a Motorhome and drive round OZ........then in yer box mate.

How's the Ettermogga Pubs these days, do they still have the best bogs in the land, minus the dunny seats of course for instant action?

As I said to our Sheila last week "Well starve me lizard mate that looks a mighty good possie over the dyke" To which she replied "In them fancy Billabongs you got no chance mate"

Did the South Ocean Road plus some of the Indian a few years back

LB

I am surprised you want to import a van from OZ. I had a call from Perth when my Laika was up for sale in Feb. He was serious bidder, because of the extra costs involved in buying in OZ, but van had to be pre-2001 to escape charges for inports. Mine was 2004. I bought a motorhoming magazine when there, in Perth, OZ, this past winter, and there a loads of quirky, junky, home mades and some factory models, all seeking serious money for the "pleasure" of travelling that vast country.

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of reasons we are shipping it home is that the layout suits us to a t, we have serviced it by merc regularly and know it inside out-to have sold it and bought similiar would have cost us a lot more than the shipping- about £5grand as it is to big for a container and came on roro vessel. It also is what we call basic without the `fine` finihes that we looked at before deciding to bring home.

The sprinter is good for about another300000kms and what with everthing else we did what we did- the only regrets as such is the time it has taken to bring it home asit left melbourne end of march-just got here.

However if anyone is thinging of shipping out down under do not ship via africa as all kit will not be there when it arrives-ship via usa and panama!!!!

Archived